Tried to setup my machine today and ran into some problems

Apologies ahead of time if this is not the route to go to seek help. You were so helpful yesterday that I felt like you could at least get me going in the right direction.

I watched the videos Kevin Barnette did about setting up the machine initially. I took notes and felt like I was on the right track. My machine is a Shapeoko 4 HDZ XXL with a BitSetter and BitZero. During the initial setup, I put the 1/4" solid probe in the collet.

I went through the initialization, followed the prompts to setup BitSetter, though I should mention, prior to this, I wasn’t given the opportunity to set my Z axis to Zero. Since that didn’t happen I expected that during BitSetter setup it would lower until the button was pressed and that would me it, but that process never happened. It just had me get it centered over the BitSetter button but never lowered.

I think it was at this point that it asked for a tool. Since I had the probe in it, I just hit ok (I had not loaded a program yet). After this, it went to NE position like it was homing but then the router descended and pressed the probe into spoil board causing an error. I ended up having to take the router loose to get the bit out.

I then decided to try to go through the setup once again, only this time with no bit in it. During the process, a screen came up that said I could move the 3 axis’ 25mm. X and Y seemed fine but Z looked like it lowered more than that. I measure and it’s lower 40mm.

I continued through and it got to the tool request. Nothing was in the spindle and I hit enter. It went to that position, lowered and though it wasn’t hitting the table, it kept trying to go until it threw a code. I hit stop on the screen or the off switch, can’t remember which.

Is there something blatantly obvious? Oh, I did take the cover off of the board and there was a red light blinking in the bottom right and corner. I just looked at the picture and am assuming that is just showing input coming in through the USB?? I dunno.

If you can steer me in the right direction, I’d surely appreciate it!

Thank you!

First, verify the BitSetter position per:

https://my.carbide3d.com/docs/shapeoko-setup/

Second, review jogging around and setting zero per:

https://my.carbide3d.com/gswso/06/

the warning is an out-of-bounds error as noted at:

https://carbide3d.com/blog/carbide-motion-bounds-checking/

for the BitZero see:

If you continue to have difficulties, upload your .c2d file, step-by-step notes on how you are securing your stock and setting zero relative to it and managing all tool changes and a photo showing an attempt at cutting still in place on the machine with the machine at the origin or a specified offset from it.

Thank you, sir for your help! I will work on this tomorrow to see if I can get this straightened out. :slight_smile:

Hey Will, I thought this might be worth asking at this point. I’m looking at the second link and I don’t get this jog screen

The screen I get only has Run and Settings in the upper right and position information on the left. I am assuming he hasn’t loaded a file since he hasn’t mentioned that step yet. When I mentioned having to take the router loose to get the bit out, it was because I had no control panel to instruct the Spindle to raise.

You are seeing:

?

Jog won’t appear until after the machine has been set up and then initialized.

What happens when you press “Initialize Machine”?

Well, Im not in the shop (and I may be wrong) but I don’t remember seeing MDI. Concerning initialization, I can’t remember if it just homes or if it moves forward and asks for a tool change.

MDI doesn’t show on current versions unless enabled — it is now an option.

At what point in the operation would it ask for a tool change?? Im wondering why I don’t see that screen where I can move the spindle and set zero at the top of my work piece?

The sequence is:

The machine will measure the tool during initialization if a BitSetter is enabled and configured.

Then you should be able to:

https://my.carbide3d.com/gswso/06/

If you have any difficulties with any of that, let us know at support@carbide3d.com

This is very helpful. Thank you, Will. I’ll do this first thing in the morning.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.