Unable to connect pink lines in my simple pocket project

Will:
OH yea in all the hacking I have seen the Boolean selection box empty with no options to choose through out all my try’s to get this to work that info. may or may not be of help or a bug in CC Pro.?

Ken

Could you post a screen grab showing the selection you are making when trying to use the Boolean feature?

For a boolean option to appear, you must have at least 2 closed vectors selected. If one of two vectors is open, there will be no options. With other combinations, only options that will affect the object are available.

For your part, I would zoom way in at the end of each line.

Select the line, and Edit Nodes. Drag the line past the tangent point so you have a good idea where it is

Drag the end point to that position, as close as you can get it. Repeat this for all 8 end points.
Now connect the ends to form a closed shape, and Join the vectors.

Select all the vectors, and Boolean Weld them

4 Likes

Tod1d / Will
This gives me something to play with today
I’ll do a screen grab if I get the blank boolean box again
TKS
Ken

HIP HIP Hooray the lines are all BLACK now to work on boolean, I have done the weld. and am playing at that point.

TKS Guys U ROCK
Ken

3 Likes

Thank you, Ken and Tod1d for the lesson on how to do this. In the past I have played successfully and unsuccessfully with this. Now I can see what is required. I downloaded your file and worked it to success.

1 Like

For this particular arrangement, since it’s all even & symmetrical & the circles are the same size, you could create a single polyline from the 4 circle centers

And then just offset it 1"

But the manual way above is good to know when it’s needed.

2 Likes

Will
here are 3 screen shots for the boolean option
still have not got it to leave just the out side radius MORE PLAYING is needed. and then I need to remember all these steps. I just saw the 2nd way from tod1d may give that a try.
Tks
Ken

Screen Grab #2 of 3

Will
Screen Grab #3

Ken

Boolean operations only work on closed regions/geometries — the magenta lines indicate unclosed/unjoined lines:

You need to convert them into a closed region:

In order to do this it will be necessary to draw in the gaps so as to close them:

Note that at this point, it is just easiest to use the polyline tool to just draw the entire thing:

Doing this however, shows that things do not line up as well as one might wish:

so arguably one would want to adjust things for a better result:

Note that we already had this discussion:

https://community.carbide3d.com/t/how-to-create-the-shape-of-two-circles-connected-by-tangent-lines-in-carbide-create/42590

(repeat for the other nodes)

until one arrives at:

which will work for a Boolean union:

but that will result in a polyline — better to use Trim Vectors:

(note that we have duplicated the original geometry for reference)

OK

OK

at which point we use “Join Vectors” to close things:

Yes

Attached as a v7 file (note that the original geometry was left in place for reference)

4cBoolean1_v7.c2d (52 KB)

Will / TD1
This is what I ended up as this morning ??? how I got their is a big ? mark
now just 2 lines to deal with top and bottom.
TKS
Ken

How many objects are there?

I suspect you have two stacked copies — just select one of the lines you don’t want and delete (after ungrouping if need be).

Post the file again?

4cBoolean1.c2d (52 KB)

Will

After many many hours of trying 2 edit on this file I think I have messed it up totally… Anyway here is the file if you zoom in where the radius were the end cuts are visible ragged. I don’t know what else to do it is beyond my knowledge as how to fix it (frustrated again).? It just should not be this hard.!

Tks Again
Ken

You’re almost there:

The problem is you’re missing part of the bottom:

Just draw in geometry to cut off the circle

Select it and the circle:

and use Trim Vectors to cut off what is not wanted:

OK

delete the drawn-in geometry:

Zoom in where the pink is darker:

and Node Edit to shorten things:

Done

Delete what has been cut off and is not needed:

and one will have the file which is linked above when joined.

Will / Tod1
I just tried Tod1’s 4 circle’s with center offset of 1 inch and then boolean which worked just fine (more than one way to skin a C#* … Low and be hold and I’ll be snookered…! it worked I was TOTALLY amazed minimum of key strokes. now I try and move it to G code and to the machine

Big Thank you to both of you 4 your time I let U know how it works out.
Ken

1 Like

Tod1 gets the prize for efficiency but here is yet another way:

• With the size tool, extend the four lines one at a time so they all intersect.
  • Trim vectors to remove the line segments beyond the intersections.
  • Join vectors to combine the remaining lines into a diamond (all black lines now).
  • Select diamond and use the fillet tool to fillet 1 inch, replace original vectors.

The circles are extraneous.

1 Like

Yep.! I am sure this would work also sounds a little more complex but I’ll have to try it one of these days
Tks
Ken

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.