I am aware that this is not the optimal way to make the rollers. In fact, this is a project for a lathe (that I don’t have). I can’t split the rollers in half due to the forces they will be submitted to. But your solution shows how a turning problem can be made into a milling problem, thanks for that.
From your reply I would think that my issue is that I am exceeding the 8x8x3 limits of the Nomad. But even if I scale the project so that it is well within those limits, the problem is the same: MeshCAM is taking too long to generate the toolpath.
A look at the Toolpath Generation page shows what I think is the problem: the stepovers are too close and the step down is too shallow.
This is my workflow. I apologize if it is too long, but you might find my mistake here:
I open the STL and choose 2-side machining.
I translate the geometry so that the XY center is zero and the top is zero. I expect that my (0,0,0) is right on the middle of the top face.
I don’t add supports, don’t change the cutting depth, don’t set a machining region and don’t put supports.
I set the Program zero to be on the top face and the middle of the top face.
I drag the drawing with the mouse from bottom to top of the screen and I see a green line, a blue line and a red line at the bottom. I think that is the 3D origin which I don’t expect it to be there.
I use the Carbide Auto Toolpath from the Tools menu (which I discovered on one of the many videos I could find about MeshCAM), change to Hard Wood and turn on the Review Toolpath button.
I see the toolpath parameters window and I click on Use MM since that’s the only thing I know, inches don’t make sense to me.
As you see, the stepovers and stepdown are too small. I don’t know why and I think that’s where my problem is. Anytime I was offered to use MM I used that option.
I uninstalled and reinstalled the program, but it seems to remember my old settings. I didn’t even have to reenter the activation code again.
If it helps anything, I’m running MeshCAM on a virtual machine, but on videos I’ve found this doesn’t seem to be a problem.
Again, thanks for your help.