Use of the braking resistor for the H100 VFD

Hello everyone,
I bought a H100-1.5S2-1B inverter with a 1.5kw spindle. I’ll say in advance that I read this discussion: How to: H100 VFD & 1.5KW Air-Cooled Spindle Setup - Zhong Hua Jiang

Nevertheless, I am interested in how quickly the spindle stops during emergency stopping? And how to reduce the stopping time to a minimum, I don’t know what can be achieved with and without braking resistance. Does anyone have experience, at least in general, of using any VFD with braking resistance? How does this affect the traffic on deceleration?
Thank you

(translated by google translate)

Hey there - glad my post is still getting some use :slight_smile:

F022 is the “Emergency stop deceleration time” where you can specify the braking time in seconds. Default is 0.0 seconds, which is actually coast mode. Entering a value here will enable braking and cause a rapid stop based on the parameter you set when you trip the emergency stop.

There are also several other parameters noted in the manual to control Deceleration and DC Braking for normal use. The caution in the notes is this can cause spindle overheating if used too frequently.

Hope this helps!

Thank you,
your posts are very helpful.
So a stop time of 1 second (for example) shouldn’t hurt the frequency converter or the spindle. If I wait, before turning it on again.

Well, the setting is possible, but I certainly can’t say that it wouldn’t hurt the spindle.

I haven’t changed this setting yet myself. I’d recommend doing some testing. Time how long it takes to coast to a stop, then put a setting that is maybe half that time and see how the spindle behaves. When you’re good with that, reduce it more until you get to a place you’re comfortable with. Just because the setting is possible in the VFD didn’t mean it’s a wise or recommended choice for a lot of reasons. I’d approach cautiously.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.