Using a corner round router bit?

Has anyone used a corner round bit to radius exterior edges (Wood)? If so, do you setup a new tool using the bottom of the cutter as the (Dia) and touch off Z zero on that bottom edge? Obviously, Z depth needs to be just shy of the radius being used.

Yes.

See:

1 Like

Guess that would be a nice addition for CC, add these type tools to database and allow for simulation of the radius.

Some people want to use a round over or chamfer bit to take the edge off of a project. That is possible but NEVER use a bearing type bit because the bearing will hit the project and likely make a mess of the project. If you have bits that do not have a bearing you can likely make the bit work but again NEVER use a bearing type of bit on a CNC.

There are several posts about using a bowl bit like this as an example:

You can use a chamfer bit without a bearing like this:

You could also use a vee bit to chamfer an edge.

1 Like

Yeah, I could see a bearing style bit would not work on a CNC. There isn’t a lot of options out there for a ext. radius forming bit in 1/4" shank. I have ordered a set from Freud (!/8"r, 1/4"r, 3/8"r, 1/2"r) and a 1/32"r from Amana, all carbide bits. Not cheap. My spin is, I have the CNC; I am going to machine the radii, not use a hand router after the fact, unless there is a reason to My next project is to machine some Birch 6-sided dice; that’s where the 1/32"r bit comes into play.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.