Using BitZero Attachment

When using the BitZero device: after the cycle is complete, do I have to manually set zeros for X,Y, and Z? In other words must I manually confirm what BitZero has determined or does the BitZero device automatically set the zero for all of the axis inside Carbide Motion? Newbie question I know, but wasn’t sure.

Thanks.

It depends on which probe action you chose. If you pick ‘Corner’, then all of X-Y-Z will have zeros set.

Other probe actions will set only one or two of the axis.

1 Like

So, if I understand you correctly, the BitZero device will set all of the zeros in Carbide Motion if I pick “Corner”. I don’t have to do anything manual in the software, after the probing cycle is done. Correct?

Correct.

Probing at a corner sets all three axes. See:

For other setups you can probe a single axis at a time in any order, and if need be, adjust the origin as needed, e.g., if origin is at the top of the stock, but you want it set relative to the bottom (say if using rough cut lumber) you would:

• probe the surface the stock is setting on for Z only
  • jog up from that origin so that the machine is where it should be at the height of the surface of the stock
  • set the Z-axis zero there

As others said above if you use corner then all 3 zeros are set. If you use center then you have to jog to the center and set X and Y through the software interface. Afterwards you can use the BitZero to set the Z separately.

When using the BitZero for the corner you have to specify the size of the bit used to set up. The Z only does not care about the size of the bit only that it touches the BitZero.

When using the BitZero for corner setting of X Y and Z you set the BitZero over the edge of the material leaving the overhang on the BitZero over the edge. When setting Z only you set that overhang on top of the material for top of material or on the spoilboard for bottom of material. In Carbide Create during creation of the c2d file you set top of material or bottom of material in the setup. Just set the Z zero where you told CC to set the Z origin.

That’s for BitZero V1, BitZero V2 doesn’t need to know the bit size.

For X-Y probing (including Corner probing), using the included ‘dowels’ may be more accurate than measuring using the bit - the flutes on the bit may cause inaccuracies when measuring for X and Y.

Will, is that what you meant to write?

Yes. The example is:

• one is using rough cut lumber, which is un-even in stock-thickness (so one can’t set it from the surface easily

so instead one:

• sets zero at the bottom — the surface of the MDF
  • jogs up by the stock thickness as set in the file
  • sets zero there

this gets one a setting relative to the surface things are resting on.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.