V carve text in CC Version 514/Depth settings

Greetings;
I recently updated my Carbide Create to version 514. While looking at the text toolpath info, it appears that you can now change the depth of text in V-Carve. Is this true?
If yes, does the software still use the same algorithm to make the depth recommendation based on text size and mill selected?
I have been too busy to run samples.
Thanks to all

Bill

Yes, see:

Will

Thanks for the speedy reply, but I am not using CC Pro, just CC 514.
I am just curious as to the cutting parameters of TEXT with regards to depth of cut.
Your referral to the other post was way beyond my knowledge at this point, as I am still in kindergarten with the learning curve.
Bill

ok so to keep it simple… select “Advanced Vcarve” and not regular vcarve when making the toolpath… that way you get to set the maximum depth…

That did not refer to any Pro features.

Please try working through the tutorial — if there’s anything you don’t understand, let us know and we’ll do our best to work through things with you.

Will and Arjan;

I hope you don’t think I am an idiot, but I am trying understand the upgrade to version 514 from the previous version. In the past, if you selected V-carve for text, the depth was automatically set. There was no way to change the cutting depth. In the version 514, it appears that you can select the depth in V-Carve. I was curious to know if I selected a text toolpath using V-carve, are the new, automatically recommended, depths the same as the previous version? I ask because the previous version did a great job of selecting the depth based on the size of the text, ie the larger the text, the deeper the cut. This information would be useful to keep from having to cut a bunch of letters to see what the new software is recommending for a depth.
Please bear with me.
Thanks
Bill

ok so V carve is still what vcarve was before.
You can set depth per pass, but the actual depth is only based on the width of the font.
If you need to go deeper than the depth per pass, carbide create will just do multiple passes.
(e.g. this is to help your bit not bite too much wood, but otherwise the result is as you expect)

with advanced vcarve you can put in a “bottom”, e.g. a maximum depth, that you can clear out with a normal flat endmill. this lets you limit the depth to a maximum, and is very nice for, say, large areas where you want a few parts V carved. But it’s still V-carving… for places where it;s not as deep, or corners… it’s just like before.

An example where I’ve used this is below. If you look at the frog or the wide parts of the text, you will see it “bottom out” to a flat area, while the smaller parts of the text are still the vcarve you’re used to; that has not changed.

while a “not advanced”, eg normal, vcarve will look like his:

There are no recommended depths — there’s an initial default depth, and then there’s the last depth which you used.

For Advanced V carving it cuts around the perimeter and there’s an option for max depth which will limit how deeply it cuts while still allowing verisimilitude of the appearance and there’s a pocket clearing option which will respect the setting for max depth.

For a normal V carving it cuts along the center of the path and the max depth if set will alter the appearance by artificially limiting the depth it cuts to.

You can see this by drawing a square and sequentially assigning the settings:

Advanced V carving:

V carving:

reducing the max depth:

1 Like

@WillAdams That’s a very helpful post…although I think you just wanted a reason to use the word “verisimilitude” :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me. I will play with the examples above and see if it sinks in to my brain. Some of this stuff has come easily and others… well, not.
Best regards
Bill

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.