Vcarve Pro and Post Processor

LOL … you are so quick to post a vid tutorial got me laughing out loud the wifey had to just ask why I was laughing.

Thanks that vid reaaaallly helps.

So I am guessing that you do the tool numbering to group all the like type bits so as to create a smooth work flow. Then a tool change for the next bit.

Don’t worry about the tool numbers. You place the order you want before you save.
reorder
The tool numbers don’t necessarily output correctly (first one is always “T1” if I recall), but it will use the M6 and correct tool number after the initial tool.

My wife is asleep on the couch, so I thought I’d try to get a couple projects done (one in Fusion 360, and one in V-carve), so I can cut tomorrow.

2 Likes

Thanks Neil, so do you use CM or UGS. I am hesitating in using UGS primarily due to the fact that I want to turn out this project vice another learning curve.

In the mean time this new code addition fixes one of my work flow issues.

Thanks for your help and contribution to the C3D community.

1 Like

No problem. And neither…I typically use CNCjs.

Watching a YT on CNCjs and Shapeoko … are you still able to use the Shapeoko Touch Probe? If so, do you use a caliper and get the physical measurements than enter a gcode for a macro into CNCjs?

Now I am curious as to what is this CNCjs and how it compares to CM.

Yes & Yes.
Can of worms here, and I need to get to bed, but here’s some light reading for you:

3 Likes

Neil,

I watch one of your YT vids, when you zero your Z axis on the piece of metal does your macro subtract the difference from the original input value during a tool change?

Also, found a thread on your work flow but still trying to grasp my head around this gcode programming.

From reading … you store a permanent zero in the gcode location. So whenever you touch off from the metal it knows the value for the Z.

Sorry… I’m no videographer.

Basically, with the newest macros I shared on GitHub, you set Z zero (however you like to), then probe the first tool wherever it’s convenient and repeatable. CNCjs will store the work position relative to your Z zero and apply that to any new tools you probe.
I’m hoping someone (@GrantyGrant?) will make a quality video showing the process. I don’t have the time (5yr old, 3yr old, and one on the way) or patience to make a quality video, but I get a lot of questions. It really is straightforward once you get used to the lack of descriptive prompts. Been super accurate and precise for me too.

3 Likes

Thanks, even if the vids are not of great quality … just seeing is learning. It’s easier to watch and learn than to read and digest.

So I added the gcode Tool Changer to Vcarve Pro.

I am at the point where: “Tool Change Required, Insert Tool #2 and click and continue”.

Question, how do I zero Tool #2 … Z axis.

Using the CM and Touch Probe.

Yep this is the issue with CM, you cannot re-zero within a job, you will need to change to CNCjs.

Well, today’s announcement for the BitSetter and the new Carbide Motion 418 makes this thread more relevant. I already installed the post-processor that @neilferreri created. Now waiting for my BitSetter to arrive.

Yes … waiting for my bitsetter to arrive …

Does this mod account for tool retract in CM? @GrantyGrant seemed to have an issue resolved with a macro in CNCjs, but I’m wondering if CM will know to do the retract prior to a tool change.

There’s nothing special about the post processor. It just adds an M6 to the gcode where a tool change is required. CM, with the bitsetter, will run the tool change sequence when it encounters that M6. It will retract, move to tool change location, and then do all the probing magic. The same can be done with senders, like CNCjs, that allow macros.

4 Likes

@i3oilermaker I cannot confirm as I don’t have a tool setter to test anything, but much like the HDZ, I would love to play with them someday. I’m in the middle of trying to start a side business with my SXXL, so the budget is tight.

(This may be a null point for many) As G-code Master Jedi @neilferreri mentioned, the .pp V-Carve adjustment allows you to save your vcarve gcode with the M6 command automatically inserted at the correct location, the alternative might be manually locating/entering “M6”. The .pp can do this with a multitude of variables, but for the many CNC’ers this may be a null point. If your a nerd like me and want to learn more, this is where I recommend starting vectric link below. (NOT trying to promote vectric at all)

@WillAdams might be able to confirm if the M6 command is all that is required to prompt CM for a tool change then prompt execution of a tool setter code. I doubt its that simple for a few reasons, but as always, if there’s a will, there’s away. (no pun intended)

So excited for Carbide and the incredible dedication to constant innovation and improvement.

4 Likes

It’s that simple. Carbide Motion will “intercept” the M6 command, prompt the user and run the tool change sequence.

5 Likes

So i received and installed my Bitsetter today. Installed Neilferreri PP in my VCarve Pro. No issue writing the gcode from there.

Although it didn’t list the first tool in my file as the first tool.
I only get 1 prompt to turn off router before tool change.
No pause after tool measurement, heads straight back to cutting. No notice to turn on router, no time to slide my Suckit boot back on. I assume that has to do with CM.

Can you share your gcode and let us know where the zero should be?

1 Like

Oops…fixed versions below:
ToolChangePostP.zip (4.7 KB)

4 Likes