VFD spindle not unlocking (no red LED)

Hello all,

I just recently got my Shapeoko 4 with VFD spindle set up and it seemed to all be working. Yesterday I went to do some more tests and my spindle wouldn’t spin anymore. I realized that the unlock red light hadn’t come on when I pressed the control box button so I went and toggled it some more… no luck. Tried different outlets, having the button depressed when turning it on vs not, etc. and nothing worked. It does jog just fine though, so everything seems to be working except the lock.

Already reached out to support but it’s a long weekend and I just want to know if I’m just doing something dumb.

I found a thread or two of other people having similar issues:

Is this a common issue? Should I just have a regular router on hand for when this happens? Any solutions out there?

might be a silly question…but i just did it myself, but is your controller/machine on?

Hah, not silly at all. Yeah it’s on, the controller’s screen turns on and I can jog the spindle via the jog button on it and it does spin, but the lock won’t disengage so I can’t really use it for anything.

Please send photos showing how the pendant is plugged in and the VFD is connected to support@carbide3d.com and we will work through this with you.

I reached out to support and they were very patient and walked me through some troubleshooting. Seems to have been user error! I believe my VFD to Shapeoko 6pin connector was not plugged in fully which prevented the control box from releasing the lock since it didn’t detect the machine. While debugging and removing the control box cover I plugged the cable in properly and now everything seems to be working again!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.