Video tutorials

Hey community,

I’m considering buying a desktop cnc router but I want to make sure I can utilize it well first from a software perspective.

I currently design projects in a 3d modeling software (Shapr3D) prior to building them to help me visualize. I can export as STL and STEP files so I’m pretty sure I can do it. The z axis on these is usually far too great for a desktop cnc (a chair for example), so I’d need to assemble them as parts from a flat plane. I assume I’d have to make the model and then disassemble each part in Shapr and lay it flat before exporting the file.

Is anyone aware of any video tutorials/series explaining the process going from 3d model —> output on a shapaeko? I’d like to get some mock ups done prior to spending the dough for the machine.

Thanks!

Most folks working from Shapr3D export STLs and use MeshCAM:

It should also work to export DXFs which could be brought into Carbide Create or MeshCAM.

Will you be doing tab and slot? Or some other sort of joinery?

I worked up a basic tutorial which encompasses the former at:

c.f.,

If you’ll let us know what you have trouble with we will do our best to assist.

I appreciate the details! I’ve been toying with various joinery methods, going as far as hand cutting joinery after the CNC process. Mostly I’ve planned dowels/tabs/mortise etc and I have other tooling to make those which is a plus for learning but long term I’ll have to decide which works best on the CNC

Going to go make a Facebook account now :sweat_smile:

No need for a Facebook account — that got made here because it’s so awkward doing posts w/ multiple files there.

I’d like to think one could do pretty much any sort of joinery on the machine — I’ve worked up a fair number of different options:

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.