Visual Chronicles of a Nomadman

@RichCournoyer Thank you for the info, that actually doesn’t sound too bad. Do you have the rotary toolpath in Fusion or can you do quite a bit without it? Simultaneous 4th would be fun! Also given how much time and effort you’ve spent in modifying yours, would you do it again given the chance or try a different drive system?

At around 96 toolpaths per par…it would be awesome to have it automatically position

6 Likes

The rotary tool path in Fusion works, but is not easy to use (compared to Solidworks, Gibbs, etc.), and the options are very limited (I hope that it will improve over time), but the index feature works great and is the main reason I built the system…you know to reduce the setup…since I am a BIG fan of lights-Out-Machining. (I can only dream of a tool changer)…hmmmmm.

Would I do it again, YES, in a heartbeat. Multi-Axis machining isn’t for everyone, since many people struggle with double-sided machining…but for the advance users, it’s awesome…I just wish Carbide3D offered it…because I have been very disappointed with the SuperGerbil (SG) controller…(It looses its memory…I mean EVERYTHING…every setting, and needs to be re-flashed if the board looses power for a millisecond…they replaced the board, and the replacement does the same thing. So I leave the controller plugged into a laptop (6hr battery), and the laptop into a LARGE battery UPS…to retain its memory. (in a power failure)

IF there is a next time, and IF C3D doesn’t offer a 4-Axis controller, and since UGS is crap…(IMO)…and even the author won’t help me make it better…(Yes I flashed $100 bills in his face). I’ll probably jump ship (from GRBL) and go to a Cat-Mach 4 based system (I’d love a closed loop system, but the cost is still too high for me to justify).

In SG’s favor…I have NEVER had a (USB) disconnect…so they got something right.

PS: Little known fact: It is my dream to machine a turbine rotor…just for a paperweight…someday…you know to be in that small club. For now I’m going to continue (trying) making to make some micro gas engines.

2 Likes

This site is super cool as far as modeling, machining and once the museum reopens, seeing the miniature engines run. There are cool videos on YouTube of these (And there are a couple of links in the link below) But nothing beats seeing and hearing them live!
https://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/KnappCol.htm

6 Likes

Been waiting on this beauty of a custom spindle mount for a minute! My design machined by a friend, 80/65 compatible, HDZ easy tram bolt pattern which also fits the Nomad Z plate bolt pattern.

13 Likes

Nice,

Now did you make enough for all the people who are going to ask how to get one? :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

There was an initial batch of two but I did get a quantity quote… smallest batch is twenty due to material cost :grimacing:

Knowing this is a pretty niche mount, and that most people aren’t going to be swapping spindles. That’s a pretty big stock cost to shoulder and I would want the Nomad plates available too.

Tonight we test!

4 Likes

Custom extended SMW fixture plate for the modified Z assembly. Also extended in the X for additional fixturing and part handling capacity.

The plate was also spec’d thicker and has 0.250 precision bores on each mounting hole. SMW Mod vices have awesome softjaws and that’s a huge positive with these machines!

All Carbide3D Nomad accessories are still compatible.

9 Likes

Any chance others could order these SMW plates? :smiley:

1 Like

It does seem that way.

2 Likes

@Moded1952

Yup these are on the site but for custom requests you can email info@saundersmachineworks.com

I really like the 2.5 extended plate in the X but custom plates cost goes up quite a bit. Also can be changed to metric no problem.

Is the Nomad 3 screw/locating pin pattern the same as the Nomad 883 Pro though?

Definitely want metric but I also want the mod vise… I suppose I should shoot an email.

From what I understand that was consistent between the 3 and 883 pro. I think main change was a thicker plate for the 3. Might be worth an email to sales to make sure. Or @WillAdams can provide some insight.

1 Like

Kind of sad this isn’t standard anymore for any of the hobby-sized (1/4" Mod Vise compatible) fixture plates. Not even the Sieg X2 plate I got for my mill last year has them anymore according to the product page.

Sounds like just the mini pallet has the bores at this point.
https://saundersmachineworks.com/collections/all/products/machinist-vise-mini-pallet-fixture-plate

The plate thickness on most of the hobby stuff just doesn’t have room for them. Custom is always an option and there are a few others things we are working on :slightly_smiling_face: