Waste board leveling file review (S4XL)

Happy Monday all - I’m planning to do general maintenance and cleaning of my Shapeoko 4 XL and then clean up the waste board.

I’ve attached the file (Shapeoko 4 XL Leveling.c2d (42.8 KB) I plan to use for the leveling tool path, but would really appreciate it if someone who’s done this before could take a look and confirm I’ve got it setup correctly, OR correct anything I’ve messed up.

I used the cutting dimensions for the XL of 33"(X) x 17.5"(Y) and created a serpentine tool path 1/2" apart at a depth of 0.01". Following earlier advice, I’ll mark the cutting area with pencil lines and repeat the run after adjusting Z-zero down 0.01" each time until the area is clean.

Thanks for any reviews and advice!
Rich

1 Like

If the cutting area is truly 33", then your smooth stepovers outside the workpiece will cause limit errors.

Edit the vector, and move everything onto the workpiece. You can rectangle select the nodes you want to move & move them all together.

2 Likes

Thank you!

I do wish I’d listen to that voice in the back of my head a little more seriously sometimes. That crossed my mind, but for whatever reason, convinced myself that I needed to cut square to the edges - completely disregarding the limits the arcs would exceed. :man_facepalming:

Thanks yet again.

1 Like

Decent results today, but with a few limiter hits and some ‘figuring it out’.

Hard part for me was determining X/Y zero. I used the Rapid location to SW which was fairly accurate. I knew it could jog over the front edge to reach BitSetter, but wasn’t sure how much of that was valid cut area, so I used the SW position to be safe.

Using 17.5” as the height (Y), as defined in the product specs for XL, it hit the limiter a couple of times, so I reasoned that I could have set zero at least an inch south of where I did.

After additional incremental perimeter passes I cut all the way forward giving a clean edge off the front - not without an ‘O-F!’ moment as it came out over the SE corner near BitSetter. All good, but we won’t do that again.

Good opportunity to learn a few more things, but as a former product person, can’t help but think some machine-specific presets for waste board leveling would be good to have, at least on the ‘nice to have’ list.

Thanks @Tod1d and others for help and recommendations.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.