What are your thoughts on placing a CNC machine on a table with casters?

What are your thoughts on placing a CNC machine on a table with casters? How important is it for the machine to be level? I recently moved my Shapeoko Pro XXL from a solid, level workbench to a very sturdy table with casters. However, I’m now second-guessing this decision after noticing significant table movement while the machine is running.

Just wedge the casters with a chock. Theoretically, you could run a cnc hanging on a wall.

1 Like

I would go with locking or retracting casters. The movement shouldn’t affect cutting. Although it could shake/pull some wires loose.

“Level” taken literally to mean perpendicular to gravity, doesn’t mean anything.
I assume when people say “level” they really mean flat & square. Which is important.

The only reason I can think of for leveling the machine is if you are pouring epoxy/resin with the part on the machine. I did do this to mine after my first epoxy job. It sits in the garage & the floor is graded so the epoxy all wanted to run to one side.

2 Likes

I have these on several tools including my CNC.

Easily Move Your Workbench with Rockler Workbench Caster Kit - Set of 4

They work but if the load is heavy then disengaging them is a bit fun. If you do it once a month then its not a big deal. I wouldn’t want to do engage/disengage multiple times per day.

3 Likes

I have mine on these casters:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09TVLWXM2/

They hold a crap ton and when retracted the rubber keeps the table from moving around.

2 Likes

I have some similar to those on my lathe. Mine doesn’t have that ratchet arm though, it is a star wheel that is a pain to adjust.

Can you extend those ratchet arms so that you don’t have to lay on the floor to adjust?

1 Like

EDIT: I just double checked and the hole is NOT threaded, but it could be.

EDIT to my edit: just realized you still have to get on the ground to switch the ratchet direction so no really point extending it.

The hole is threaded so you can put like a bolt in there or some sort of handle.

2 Likes

Just throwing my agreement in with these folks. Casters are fine, and I’ve noticed no issues even when I forgot to lock em for a day. My current ones are:
https://www.amazon.com/Kreg-PRS3090-Locking-Caster-Set-Piece/dp/B000SR5YBA

1 Like

I had that Rockler kit and after one use I sent them back. Not fun to use.

I have rotating/locking casters on my woodshop tool cabinets. On my tablesaw/router table I added these shop made levelers.

Shop Made Levelers

Commercial version are also available. Not speedy but much safer IMHO.

Bill

1 Like

One of the guys in the forum posted pictures of a table with trailer tongue jacks with wheels on each corner. That looked like a great idea if you have the room.

If money is no object then mount it on casters and have electrically operated RV jacks to lift and firm it up with the push of a button. :joy:

1 Like

I run mine on 4" casters, the bottom of the table is weighted down with totes of material and tools. no issues here

2 Likes

These work great for me ($33 with a rating of 850 lbs) with my DIY table. I only lower the casters when I need to move the table.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FDFJXK5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

I found it unhelpful. Possibly I used the wrong type of wheels. My table was solid and designed to hold about 200kg in weight. It has served me well for 3 years. I recently changed my workspace and wanted to make the CNC machine table mobile. After adding the wheels, (2" diameter with fat rubber tyres and a load capacity of 50kg per wheel) my CNC table bounced while working and the movement was about 1" in the vertical plane. I could not work like that and removed the wheels. YMMV

1 Like

I have double locking casters on my S5Pro table. Works awesome. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have These on all my assembly tables as well as my CNC table. They retract entirely to set the table down on the ground without the wheels touching. They’re inexpensive, and they work really well.

The 2 downsides are:

• You have to walk around the table and push down on each leg to rise it up (although, if you only do 2, you can push it fairly easily)
  • The wheels stick out a bit and can trip you, if you’re walking close to the table.

I built my tables with rubber feet, so that when the wheels are disengaged, the table sits on the rubber and is going absolutely nowhere…but push down the feet and you can move it with a pinky.

Gary

1 Like

I appreciate all the feedback. I think the retractable casters are the best option for me. No one seems too concerned about the machine sitting level. That puts my mind at ease. Where my CNC is placed right now it’s about a half inch out of level because of the slope in my garage. Thank you.

My setup. I tucked the caster behind and the leveler in front

1 Like

I use ones like these. Seem to work well. Have to install on bottom of bench leg though.

Eric,
If the table is heavy, how hard is it to rotate those dials to get the wheels to engage? Looks like it might be difficult - or time-consuming?
Gary

I have casters similars to the ones of Eric and I am satisfied. My cabinet is heavy and have a dedicated place Cabinet with casters showed on this forum. In three years, I may have displaced it twice to get access at the back of the cabinet.

To adjust the height of the casters I use a short 2 x 4 as a lever to help in reducing the weight on the caster while I am adjusting it. So if like me you just want to move your base occasionally, it is ok.

Another thing to consider is the maximum height displacement of the wheels. My concrete floor has a slope going to the drain so I added some spacers at the front so the front casters have enough travel.

What I like of them is that they don’t exceed the cabinet, they combine the wheel and the very stable rubber feet, are adjustable to level the cabinet in place.

1 Like