What did you cut on your Shapeoko/ Nomad today?

I personally like unusual names out of the norm. It’s beautiful.

I just finished a cutting board project today. It all started with a low cost bamboo cutting board from the local big box store. I then added my own epoxy filled embellishments.

21 Likes

I got a gift basket for fathers day and inside was a small bamboo cutting board. Now I will put US Space Force logo on it and give it to my AirForce veteran grandson. He worked on B-52s at Minot but likes the SF.

Great idea!

3 Likes

Today’s project was a sign for someone’s 50th birthday and also this year is apparently the 50th anniversary of the opening of Disney World. The images I could find of the castle were either too detailed or not enough. This is what I could find to fit in the time frame that the person required.

The sign is about 15 inches by 21 inches cut on my Shapeoko 3 XL and it was pre-stained with Saman Blue water based stain. Started the poly coat just a few minutes ago. The sets of holes on the bottom are for four hooks to hold keys for them. The wood was ash.

While this one almost hit the limits on my Shapeoko for size it has definitely hit the limits of my band saw for cutting it out from tabs. Kept running into the side of the saw. Going to have to be more careful about tab placement in the future.

I also had some issues with the cutter disconnecting while doing the cut out and had to keep restarting. I am so glad it kept the zeros and was able to start in the right spot after exporting a new NC file with just the cutout tool path and having it start the cut again from the last depth. It probably disconnected 8-10 times and I had to keep redoing the last tool path. Rebooted the computer after the job was finally finished, cleaned the machine checked for loose screws and belts, loose connections etc and couldn’t find anything. Seemed to run fine on the cribbage board I did after it today without any disconnections. Hope that was a one off and I don’t see that happen too often.

10 Likes

Lost a bracket for a toilet paper holder, no problem, just copied the other one :smiley:

19 Likes

If you do not look at the contest topic here is what I ran today.

2 Likes

First time milling aluminum.

I made a little fixture plate to securely hold a wax seal blank while engraving.

2x M6 holes for the threaded table and 1x M8 hole for a set screw.

Didn’t come out perfect (edges are a bit weird) but works for what I need for now.

7 Likes

Drill/bore and tap or thread mill?

Bore and tap.

Would like to try threadmilling at some point after I get more comfortable with aluminum.

2 Likes

Des lampe en bois et resine, pour table de nuit ou le Bureau

26 Likes

I dont know what you said but your stuff is beautiful. Very cool technique. Are the wooden parts hollow or blocked or are they solid wood blocks? The top one looks like a tree stump but the bottom one looks like boards joined together. Nice work.

Superbe! Encore un projet qui est dans ma liste de choses à faire.
Can you share your process for polishing the epoxy back to perfect transparency ?

4 Likes

Ce sont plusieurs morceaux de bois collé ensemble

J’ai poncer au grain 80 , jusqu’à 600 ensuite poncer à l’eau jusqu’à 3000 , et polissage ultra fin, pour finir mettre une couche de wax et un dernier polissage

3 Likes

Nice looking part.

I see your Aluminium and raise you pretty much any plastic…

5 Likes

Yeah…

14 Likes

I was initially worried about hot metal but then I figured out that in the high speed air stream and the cyclone separator those little bits of Aluminium would cool down quite a bit.

I still (mostly) empty the wood chips out before playing Black Sabbath on my Shapeoko though…

3 Likes

Yep,

Hot chips are good so long as you’re not in the speed / rubbing ranges where the workpiece heats up, if that happens then the Aluminium gets gummy and starts to stick to the flutes and break your cutter.

People with coolant spray on their mills can push Aluminium somewhat harder than those of us using machines with MDF parts which shouldn’t be dunked in coolant.

1 Like

Just a simple bracket today, but it was too plain so I added some descriptive text.

And a time lapse just for fun

8 Likes

I made some outdoor furniture for my grandson. Today I vcarved a 72 Cutlas into a tabletop. I filled it with epoxy. I will let it sit overnight and will level it tomorrow.

5 Likes