What did you cut on your Shapeoko/ Nomad today?

Probably my favorite use of our Shapeoko’s, useful problem solvers.

2 Likes

First shot at inlay with some crappy pine to iron out the kinks first.

Fusion 360. Will report back once I’ve dialed it in.

8 Likes

Come on, it’s almost customary to mess up one’s first inlay by forgetting the flip the male part in the design, and you dodged that bullet ? :slight_smile:
Any specific reason you are going for straight inlays rather than v-carved ones ? (which are tolerant by design to small dimensional errors, whereas for straight inlays you’ll need a perfect fit)

4 Likes

Does Fusion have a ‘smart’ toolpath like VCarve which can get square-ish corners for an inlay then? I did a bit of searching but didn’t find anything yet.

They aren’t straight :slight_smile:

I’m still playing around but I think the workflow will basically be

• Adaptive with appropriate flat endmills (1/4 and 1/8"), 0 axial stock to leave, ~1mm radial
  • Full depth contour with taper ball nose, 0.2mm axial stock to leave (don’t touch the floor), and then playing with radial stock to leave for a snug fit. I think 0.5mm with a spring pass.

8mm depth female/negative, 6mm depth male/positive. (Dunno the official terms if any)

1 Like

It doesn’t, but @neilferreri to the rescue:

3 Likes

Aha!

I’ve been missing out on the 2D engrave toolpath because I’d not supplied the right tool type (the dreaded “Toolpath is not supported for the given tool and settings” error) and not persisted to see what it could do.

Thanks @neilferreri (again) :wink:

3 Likes

Not bad for a first try. Need less pointy font, although it’s just pine so not very strong for tiny features and I was going fairly quickly.

11 Likes

It was one of those projects that seemed like a good idea at the time…
Before I went to the trouble of gluing up an end grain board I though I would test it out on some bamboo, just to make sure it worked.

Cutting the pockets wasn’t too bad but 6 hours for the plug cut was about 5 too many!

I am happy with the end result, there is some chipping of the bamboo and some very small gap repairs to the mahogany plugs but overall it came out as hoped for. It just took too long, hence the end grain one will not be happening.

33 Likes

Stacked word engraving with layers in CC

12 Likes

Wooden sword for my kids. Cut from a cherry flooring scrap. The little guard is scrap walnut. Not sure when I’ll get around to finishing.

23 Likes

A childs life is not complete without weapons. Too many kids are deprived of the fun of adventure. I remember digging forts and having bb gun wars. My generation had parents that were in WWII so there was the desire to emmulate thier experience. The fun of summer sandlot baseball and riding bikes all day. We had to be home by dark. My worst memories was seeing my friends out the kitchen window while washing dishes and seeing my friends playing ball without me. I went to the Granada Theater on Saturday and watching 3 horror movies. Fun fun fun.

6 Likes

Well I made my first flag. I learned several things not to do and had to stop the cut so I could surface the board. I also should have uses a 90 degree v bit for the starts to make them look a little better but overall I like the way it turned out.

20 Likes

Coasters!

10 Likes

A gubbins box for my youngest granddaughter.

18 Likes

@jepho, not sure “honorary Brit” is a label I particularly strive for. But if it pleases you, who am I to say…

2 Likes

An 8x8 fixture plate for my hybrid base, first attempt at a “proper” one @jepho. Just need to tap the holes.

8 Likes

That surface finish looks great, Griff!

Well thanks but…it’s the as-delivered finish on cast ATP 6061. Got it from Midwestern Steel.

If you achieved that surface finish, I’d probably just sell my SO and call it a day :slight_smile: