What did you cut on your Shapeoko/ Nomad today?

How did you finish that sign?

three coats of transparent (and matte) protection varnish, the naked oak that was revealed under the ugly original blue paint looked so good that I wanted to leave it as natural as possible (while still being easy to clean)

p.s. fantastic job on that sign, the texture thing is a perfect fit, while it usually comes out a bit weird in most designs.

3 Likes

Really nice, @Julien! Looks like a tremendous amount of work.
You must be standing on the side of the kitchen with the hex tile with a Carbide3D logo on it?

That’s because MDF now costs what solid oak used to and solid oak costs what a ride on Blue Origin does.

4 Likes

bit of black stain on the background wiped off quick, and a hardwax oil from Blackforest wood co. Similar alternative is polyx from osmo

Successful testing of mitered joinery methods. I’m hoping I can use this on my next large furniture project to avoid making these cuts on the table saw.

Using Fusion 360, I was able to make mitered joinery two ways.

1. Flat end mill to make a parallel pass at the slope. This could be used to make any angle.
    Slow.

2. 90° v-bit using a 3d contour path. Obviously this only works to make 90° corners. But a 60° and 30° bit could open up the possibilities.
    Fast.

6 Likes

For an alternative option see:

or

or

or

IME, plain miter joints fail over time due to wood movement, even though w/ modern adhesives they are initially incredibly strong.

6 Likes

That is the world’s strongest pencil cup.

3 Likes

It was kind of embarrassing when I used clamps to get it together for a dry fit, but then couldn’t get it back apart to glue it up.

9 Likes

You do realize that’s Grandpa’s job, right?

3 Likes

I recently did this and found it was horribly slow compared to a table saw. There is a benefit if you’re trying to precisely grain match or pattern match the visible side, because you can go just to the bottom without removing anything horizontally, but it would be tedious in a production environment. I spent around 2 hours building the toolpaths and another hour cutting the mitres, where I could cut them on a table saw in minutes.

That sign is beautiful.

1 Like

I made my son a cutting board and used the left over piece to make this matching tray for his girlfriend.

21 Likes

Very nice! What species of wood did you use on this tray?

Hackberry, walnut, and zebra. It is an endgrain board.

I made a simple step stool for my grandson so he could reach the sink to wash his hands. It was about 10 minutes in create. Made from a simple project panel I picked up at Lowe’s.

9 Likes

Thomas, You may want to put a cross piece between the legs of the stool to reinforce against racking (left right movement. A simple board between the two legs should strengthen it. (perpendicular to all the boards in the stool)

John

6 Likes

I would agree with @Stankus a stretcher would be advisable. Children do unexpected things and they may dance or be jumping around. You would not want the stool to collapse unexpectedly.

1 Like

My next project will be a midsized cabinet. These are the doors that I just cut out. I am really torn on what kind of hardware to use as pulls.

Both doors together are 33in wide and 29 inch tall. Maple.

17 Likes

John, thank you for the advice. I will add a cross member. I hadn’t considered that.

Tom

1 Like

Maybe something minimal like this that would not cover up your radial rays.

After posting I realized the image was very small. Here is the website where I got the image.

5 Likes