What did you cut on your Shapeoko/ Nomad today?

Is it UHMW? (Which is really just HD-HDPE according to the internet.)

HDPE = high density polyethylene
UHMW = ultra high molecular weight polyethylene

Like I said, I don’t really know what it is until I figure out where I bought it. It isn’t “foamy”. It is stiff and somewhat brittle or “chippy.” Man, it does make some nice chips.

My third attempt to vcarve aluminum on the HDM came out okay. Struggling with tape fixturing that doesn’t warp. The carving is a bit rough around the edges, any advice on how to make it cleaner? This was a 0.1mm deep carve with a 60 degree vbit.

@SLCJedi this is my wife’s lab logo in ortho.

10 Likes

Have you tried the trick of running the job two times in a row ? The second run sometimes acts as a natural deburring pass.

3 Likes

Looks great from here. :slight_smile:

I’m with @Julien run it a second time. I’ve also started doing engravings at the highest RPM possible and slow. Seems to come out cleaner.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

Today, following the awesome guide from @rekluse I tested doing some inlay on my shapeoko 4 pro.

Quite happy with the result

8 Likes

I would actually contend that looks really good, and not unlike what I see before cleaning up. How does it look after sanding down and cleaning up?

Just to be clear, I did not make this, I just liked the concept. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

…replacing the word concept with contents… :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Cute way to hide your shop bottle. Just wait till work is done.

1 Like

Eyeglass holder for a friend.

19 Likes

Awesome idea and great execution! He’ll be delighted

1 Like

Rich, that brass collar at the bottom of your Z axis screw shaft, is that something you made? What is the functional value to it?

Yes, I made it. It serves one function. Keeps me sane. See it spin soooo close but being retained just seemed so wrong. Right? If ANYONE wants one. Just let me know.

First project. Stayed up way to late assembling last night. Went without a hitch. I am very impressed with fit and finish of Pro XL.

Simple plaque with vcarve and bit change.

I was going to use yhe v bit for the star, but the sim looked funky. Then I realized it was interpreting the contour with the whole radius of the v bit. I was glad to go through a bit change mid project and practise work flow. Love the bit setter and bit zero.

13 Likes

Cut this a week ago but going to try to solder it tonight and finish it by hand soon. Tiffany’s replica in 999 Silver on the Nomad 3. Machined in an apt kitchen, 6 part puzzle.

22 Likes

Impressive work! Quite intricate.

1 Like

Are you going to try to get rid of the tool marks or leave them for the effect?

I think they look cool myself.

1 Like

The scalloping was intentional and I even tweaked the settings so there wouldn’t be contact toolmarks.

They are decently so and it could look nice when polished. Not a bad way to spend $20 in Silver

2 Likes