What did you cut on your Shapeoko/ Nomad today?

Hi, Matt. Was this in reference to the heart tree? I’m not so great with forum functions, so I’m not sure how to check.

1 Like

Yes the heart tree, my son is getting married and looking to make him something with both their names on it.

I had forgotten how much I liked mahogany. Made a gun cabinet for my Dad in high school Industrial Arts out of mahogany; started from raw wood planks to the finished product. It was finished with a look about like your “heart tree.” +1

2 Likes

heart tree.c2d (405.3 KB)

Here ya go. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Since you made it available, I made two variations using your graphic.

I added a frame to both one raised and one recessed.
If you like I can offer the c2d file as well.

6 Likes

I’m just going to offer it anyways.
heart tree revised.c2d (425.9 KB)

Same file for both. If you have questions feel free to ask.

2 Likes

I designed and programmed this custom fixture plate remotely for a good friend using all the skills I’ve learned on my Shapeoko and with the help from forum members over the years. It’s by far the biggest 6061 aluminum job I’ve ever run and was cut on a Tormach 24r on the opposite side of the US.

It made for a few white knuckle face time calls being given control of some ones brand new machine and a $300 slab of aluminum but we hit the right pocket size on the first go so it was a shout out loud moment for me.

Although the Fusion adaptive tool path for some reason mid way down 2 rows stopped acting correctly and transitioned into a traditional pocket cut. If anyone else has had this happen how did you fix it?

So a special thanks to Vince, Griff, SLC jedi, the carbide team, and every forum member who ever answered an inquiry I had.

I’m excited to get my HDM cutting soon to see how far I can take my acquired skills and what new things I’ll learn next.

15 Likes

No chips today but did get one step closer to finishing the pure silver Elephant that was machined on the Nomad 3. Didn’t have the right soldering tools but proved the concept and might see where to can lead.

8 Likes

yes please that would be awesome thank you!

This was posted under the graphic posts. Is this what you are asking for?

I really like this. Thank you! This gives me something new to learn, too. Framing isn’t something I’ve worked on, yet.

Thanks again!

You may note, I reduced the cut to 0.125 from the 0.25 you had. I think it adds more detail as well as reducing run time.

Disc Jig with Cam Locks works!

I had to sand the Cams a bit to get them to lock better but the concept works.

Next I will make a larger one for Coasters.

The jig is nice so I may cut a bunch of blanks for future use.

9 Likes

How about a Double Duty Disc Jig with Cam Locks?

Two different size Disc pockets, one inside the other. Say for Small Trivets and the other for Coasters.

Actually I made the first one too big but was able to save the material thinking outside the box.
In this case thinking inside the pocket. :crazy_face:

Who needs Boolean?

Apparently, in some cases the need for Boolean is irrelevant.
I created the following in CC.

Selected both circles and created a pocket toolpath and the smaller pocket in the previous picture was done correctly as it would if it were done the other way, as in the larger pocket. Hmm, go figure?

12 Likes

Well finally got my machine two weeks ago and all set and up and running. Very intimidating I will say. Not new to CNC but this beast is intimidating and very hesitant at first as just don’t want crash or screw things up. But good learning curve. Few simple projects to start. Pretty excited and happy

17 Likes

Great patratioc themes. Just go for it. The machine wont bite, well not much.

After I got yelled at for not using the right soldering materials on the first try. Had to go for number 2.

It has character, maybe a little bit o soul. Fine 999

16 Likes

Modification to my 3.6 inch Disc Jig for coasters and what-not.
I added a pop-out slot to aid in disc removal from the Jig.
I also found a pop-out tool laying around the shop.
Multipurpose Disc Jig.pdf (332.7 KB)

This jig works great! Created using groups & layers in CC.
Within this CC file I have the Jig cut, Disc cut, Cam cut and the coaster pocket. Turning on and off makes this kinda fun to use.

1 Like

I did a little test on my newly built S4 XXL. These Amana bits are worth the money. Done in Fusion 360.

Also my first post!

20 Likes

Made a new build plate for my upgraded resin printer.

17 Likes