What did you cut on your Shapeoko/ Nomad today?

If you cannot win her over with your evil plan maybe a comprimise could work and mix both styles.

3 Likes

We use a water-based concrete sealer with UV protection to keep the wood safe without yellowing. Works pretty well, even outside. Water-based finishes are basically as good as oil now.

The compromise in my life is my Chief Decorator can change anything but the aged maple cabinets.

1 Like

Beautiful work. Is that cedar?

Thank you. I used a remnant from a kitchen hickory butcher top countertop.

Book page holder. Cut from a scrap of the previous project after my wife showed me a picture.

7 Likes

I’ve built 30 or so guitars where the grain must be filled. I no longer build guitars but still do fine woodworking involving pore filling. My newest discovery is emtech’s EM6000 for finishes. Water based and even easier than nitrocellulose assuming you have some spray equipment. There’s a corresponding water-based pore filler to accompany. Sure wish this was around 40 years ago. If you go this route I’d add the cross-linker for kitchen work.

3 Likes

Travis, how about showing your page holder in action? I’ve seen one before, but it was heavy.

2 Likes

Vacuum Form Tool. Finally Done.

14 Likes

Getting into the guinea pig bathtub business? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My most recent commisioned piece. The recipient will recieve her gift tomorrow. This is the first acrylic inlay that I poured both colors at the same time.

13 Likes

That looks really clean. Are the “seeds” in the flower part of the unrouted wood, or are they painted on?

1 Like

attempt #2 at these buttress plates/caps. bottom side came out really nice…now to make sure i dont mess it up on the top side.

9 Likes

If I know one thing it’s you never can have too many clamps.

2 Likes

What is the significance of the sunflower? In a anime Samurai Champloo the sunflower represents Cryptic Christianity in feudal Japan because Christianity was illegal. As westerners started visiting Japan Christianity spread but was illegal. Also in Japanese culture the sunflower represents the sun, warmth, happiness and longevity. Or does the person just like sunflowers.

Very Nice carving and epoxy fill. Multiple colors can be tricky especially when poured at the same time. I often put a painters tape dam up to keep the epoxy from spreading. I have had dyed epoxy become very hard to get off the surface of maple because the dye soaked in. I usually either put a light coat of epoxy on first and let it dry or use dewaxed shellac to help seal the surface to keep the epoxy from staining the underlying wood.

3 Likes

Started using epoxy
The black next to the 17 should of been blue

8 Likes

Thank you, and yes they are unroutered wood.

I am not certain there is any significance of the sunflower. I was told that it is a favorite of hers. They wanted the same board that I had made prior and posted pictures of (walnut board with maple and purple heart inlay) but I had donated that board to my church. Once we discussed budget numbers we settled on the wormy maple board with a walnut and maple inlay and an acrylic sunflower inlay. I chose to add the center to create some realism for the sunflower vs leaving in maple centered. I was allowed some artistic freedom. I am still awaiting her response to this as an award.

Made a few of these light switch bezels. They will eventually find their home in my Transit campervan
Right after cutting

Sand/bead blasted with the switch in place

25 Likes

Made a prototype PCB for a good friend of mine.
Used flatcam for g-code files and bCNC to take advantage of the surface mapping/autolevel which was necessary regardless of how flat my waste board was.

10degree 0.1mm V-bit was used for the isolation job.
Drilled with 0.8mm, 1mm & 1.5 drills.
Cutout with 102 bit

Looked better after I wiped off the dust! Next time I’ll take the picture after😂
MCEtcher was used on the back.

18 Likes

I finally finished a set of coasters for part of my daughter’s Girl Scout troop. I used advanced v carve to create the emblem and leave the troop number proud. Then filled with green epoxy. Then I used a regular v carve on the lettering and filled with black epoxy and then flattened and cut. Waiting for epoxy to dry is painful.

I used the circular text feature in CC and then “personalized the coasters by rotating the circle such that a different girl’s name is at the top of each one. I figured that would make them seem more special.

The difference in the thickness of some of the letters is due to having to flatten deeper on some of them which I am still not sure what happened. They were on 3 different pieces of wood but all were planed to the same thickness and the initial flattening prior to carving was the same depth on all. Anyway, it’s workable.

I have 5 coats of poly on them now and still need to buff smooth.

24 Likes