What do you want from Carbide Create in 2020

Sounds good, and makes sense, I understand the UI issues with the ‘splitting multi-toolpaths’ issue.

BTW, I’ve seen a couple of SIGSEGV’s on MacOS with 460, seems like something to do with the 'New file" option. I saved the stack traces if you’re interested.

1 Like

I’ll take the stack traces and if you can reproduce them reliably, let me know the steps.

1 Like

Here ya go. In both cases, I had been looking at some ‘advanced’ toolpaths and then I selected 'File->New". But I can’t repro it 100% of the time, will keep messing about…

stack_traces_cc_460.zip (55.4 KB)

Make left margin window pane scalable. When I name my toolpaths, i end the name with the tool id. Long names get truncated. Possibly add pin/unpin as a window option.

Ability to save g-code for the current toolpath at the toolpath definition. Sometimes I want to see a specific toolpath run. Pain to disable all other toolpath, then save, and re-enable them.

1 Like

I downloaded build 460 and I like the Advanced V-Carve though one thing I noticed.

After creating a toolpath, all I can do is select a new tool, I could not edit any of the other settings.

When creating a new toolpath I was able to change all the settings.

Any updates about graphical and design functions? What kind of UI changes do you have planned? It’s a headache for me to design anything in CC because it’s not laid out like any other graphic software.

For instance, a “Type-On” for text tool, instead of typing in a box and moving text around. Is the thought process to design fancier stuff in other vector based programs and import, or use basic tools to “design” within Carbide Create?

My only suggestion is to make (unlocked) Carbide Create Pro free for one year for purchasers of any Carbide 3D machine. A sort of value added addition to their purchase. “Nothing else to buy! Start creating your first day!”

Get them “locked in” to a subscription service at the outset. After one year, who would want to go back, especially since none of their files would work on the standard program?

My views as a former Fortune 500 company employee/ Your mileage may vary.

1 Like

As a very new guy on the cnc/CC block I might be missing it, but being able to automatically wrap text around the outside/ inside of a circle or ellipse would be really useful for me and no doubt others.
The only way I can see at the moment of doing this is by changing the angle of each individual letter to suit the circle etc.

2 Likes

At the moment people are creating their more elaborate designs like your curved text in another drawing program like Inkscape and import it as an SVG into CC.

2 Likes

I think I want to ask for “dynamic F&S”, e.g. per gcode line speed based on the cutter engagement. Playing with this myself it is making my machine “feel” much better, e.g. less stress in corners etc and for newer users that’ll be a big plus.
I’ll be happy to work with @robgrz or anyone else to explain more details, it turns out to not be too complicated to build and big bang for the buck

4 Likes

We’ve got a lot of the code for dynamic S&F already done so it’s something we’ll be looking at in the future as we wrap up V4 and move to V5 (where we’ll have more latitude to change the UI to include more options).

3 Likes

fair enough… this doesn’t need to have any UI element fwiw…

At a minimum it needs an “Enable” and it might need a “Scale Factor” entry like, Scale feedrate 50% when engagement is over ___ degrees.

( I suspect that reading our support queue for a day would surprise many people here. )

4 Likes

I’m sure the support queue ranges from “I get 0.001” deflection if I use the F&S from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcOkOWO2wb0 that video" to “which side of the screwdriver is the business end”…

anyway looking forward to the 5 series :slight_smile:
also if it’s not insane hard, way to have a batch mode would be nice, I would run all my designs through it for each beta and do basic CI on the result (verify the output is the same as cut etc)

1 Like

Would an option to copy and paste a toolpath operation be doable? For example, add it to the right click options (edit, enable, delete, move up/down).

Background:
I ran into an situation where I was trying to v-carve 2 different areas, both with the same parameters. If I select all appropriate geometry within the same operation I get incorrect toolpaths. However, when I select some geometry in that operation, it generates correctly. If I edit and select the other geometry instead, it generates correctly.
My current solution is: creating a new operation and pick my unused geometry that I excluded from the first operation and reselect my tool settings each time.

If I were able to copy and paste an operation it would speed up the design process.

1 Like

Once we get away from the current user interface code, that’s absolutely something we’ll be looking at.

4 Likes

I’ve got a quick one around vector selection @robgrz

I have imported some vectors in SVG format, and I’d like to select just the text to create some V-carve toolpaths.

What I have found works well (and the way most other software operates) is when dragging to select from Left to right, only items completely inside the select box are selected, and when dragging Right to Left, any vector touching or inside the selection box is selected…

Obviously I can go through and either select each bit of text indiviually, or group the text, but that adds some time to getting what I want selected

When I select around the text like this:

I get this result:

1 Like

A feature that would be great as part of the horizontal/vertical flip tool is to be able to flip about job center as well as the centre axis of the vector (which is currrently the only option) sort of like a mirror to the opposite side of the centreline on either vertical or horizontal axis

Creating Arrays would also be a pretty useful tool - circular around a selectable point, or linear with ability to array with a user defined ‘gap’ distance (i.e 10mm between each copy), or user defined extent (i.e i want 10 copies evenly spaced within a 300mm distance)

2 Likes

I would also appreciate any improvement in vector selection.

It would be terrific if it would select the vector nearest to the tip of the mouse cursor.

It absolutely does not do this at the moment. The work around is to zoom in until there’s a good 1/2 inch of screen distance between objects before making your selection.

3 Likes

Not sure if this has been mentioned but the ability to change the flute length on my custom tool. Just ran into this problem where i have a .5” 90° V bit but the program set the Flute Length to .500 instead of .250” and it completely messed my design up.