What is causing this?

Ok so the set screws are tight. They weren’t loose

This is the second carve, and it happens late in the carve

Are you able to share the file so we might look at the parameters you have set?

Pinkerton Latest 2023.c2d (2.8 MB)

I don’t know if I sent that right

Yup, Opening it now. 20 characters

I’m sure I’m stupid with this

I’m in the Army and its been a bit so there’s a learning curve again

The above is easy. If I remember one of the hex wrenches that came with the machine should fit these set screws. Check these first. If you don’t have a hex wrench that fits you should go out and purchase a good metric set cause you will get some use out of the tool.

I would then check ALL the belts for tension and tighten as needed and Im sure these will need to be tightened. If you haven’t checked/tightened these belts in 9 months you are way over due for a check and tightening.

On another note on maintenance I check every fastener in 2 - 3 month intervals depending on how much I use the machine.

In my opinion you have wiring harness connector issues and a little bit of belt tension.

If you have a remote key pad use it to test the movement and while moving give the connectors a wiggle and listen for sound changes in the motor or motors. You wont need the router running. If there is an issue in the connector or connectors you will hear a change in the sound of the motor and may even feel a jerking due to the motor stopping and starting very quickly when contact in the connector pins is lost and reconnected. You may even experience a complete stop in the motor.
Concentrate on one axis at a time and do the full movement of that axis and keep wiggling the connectors.

If your machine is still in warranty email Carbide support

Hope this helps
Anthony

Just saw all the new post.

The above makes me thing it is in the connectors due to heat buildup from a bad pin. If this is the case the connector will be warmer than normal. You should still do the testing

Anthony

Anthony, thank you for the info. Belts are new and adjusted correctly. This seems like a software issue as it always happens late in a carve.

I will check that, as I have never had that issue. Thanks

I love this forum, everyone is awesome

1 Like

Do you think I need to factory reset this machine? Especially after downloading the latest version?

If i do I will definitely need assistance

First thing I see is you are using a 1/16 .0625 bit cutting a depth of .171 at .020 depth per pass. Very conservative. That is good as you learn, just takes so long to complete.

Looking at your pictures it looks like lost steps as @Robthatguy said. Could there be anything getting pinched or impacted. Dust shoe, work hold clamps, dust hose.

You said you are just starting on this venture, could belts be loose? As it cuts a loose belt will allow it to jump a tooth.

One thing I have done is run an “air job” remove the bit or zero high to see if it will show you what is happening. I know your program is a long one but that might show you. If there is no issues on an air job I would suspect belts.

On the picture of the stepper motor, did you check to see if the set screw was actually on the flat?

Keep us informed

That is why this community is here. We did not start out knowing how to do it.

Remember!! There are no stupid questions.
AND for just starting, your design is great

Thank you sir. I just pulled a few inches of router cord to make sure it’s not binding

Here is a thread on belt tensioning.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.