Z-independent dust shoe for 80mm spindle (redux)

Some of you may remember that a long time ago I designed a Z-independent dust shoe for my SO3/blue HDZ/80mm spindle. I have now donated that machine to my nephew when I upgraded to a Shapeoko Pro, but I had not yet rebuilt a dust shoe for my Pro XXL (partly because the Sweepy works quite well). The latest HDZ has different dimensions and the Pro allows for less twisted geometry of the dust shoe support to clear the left/right limits without reducing X travel, so I figured I would roll a new version of my previous frame/dust shoe, my objective this time around was to minimize the time spent in Fusion360, so it’s not going to win any awards for looks.

The fixed frame attaches to four of the threaded holes available on the back of the HDZ, and the dust shoe itself attaches to a sliding part in the front using magnets (for super fast install/removal). I also kept the removable (also magnet-attached) back for the shoe, so as to be able to install/remove it without having to retract the spindle/endmill.

Anyway, in case anyone wants to roll their own, here’s the Fusion360 file (quick & dirty as I mentioned)

Frame v19.zip (699.3 KB)

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.