Z-Plus loud vibration and random/no movement

Hello all!

I finished up my Z-Plus installation, and when I go to home it, it sounds like it’s trying to tear itself apart. The best way I can describe the sound a rumbling noise, which occurs while the Z-axis carriage jerks up and down at random.

Troubleshooting, I moved the Z-axis connector to the X-axis motor which moves smoothly when I begin a homing sequence. Looking at the connector on the Z-axis motor, I noticed that the color of the wires are in a different order compared to the other steppers, including the original Z-axis motor. Is this motor wired into the connector incorrectly or is there something wrong with the motor itself?

The Z-axis motor connector is on the right, with the X-axis motor connector on the left for reference.

Additionally, like krayn, my kit was down two M3x18 screws, which I replaced with M3x20 screws from the hardware store. The 20mm long screws fit best on the Z-axis homing switch.

After further investigation, I’m 99.99% sure the issue is the wires being in the wrong order. I cut the harness on my old Z-axis motor and crimped on some connectors. Then I transposed the wiring (the red and black wires) on the motor to match the new Z-axis motor. The old motor now rumbles the same way as the new one. I’ll contact support to see what there is to do about it!

1 Like

I have just checked my engines, they are all identical with the same wire color.

I just upgraded my 2017-era XXL and I had the same issue and my Z wires are also different from X, Depending - it’s likely one of two issues.

Z is reversed, moving down when homing instead of up – in CM > Settings, I clicked ‘send configuration data’ and this was fixed for me.

Another possibility is that the homing switch not activating and sensing when z is fully up - confirm that the led on the sensor turns on when a metal (ferrous/steel) item is immediately below and see if it is on when stalled and shaking.

1 Like

I changed the settings to reflect the Z-Plus upgrade in CM before homing. The Z-axis doesn’t make it anywhere close to the homing switch. When starting the homing sequence, wherever it is, the Z-axis jerks up and down, seemingly at random.

I have a reply to my original post above where I tested the new motor’s wiring order with the old motor and got similar behavior.

Then wires are easy to move in the plastic housing. Use a small screwdriver to push the pin gently while you pull it.
Go Black, Blue, Red, Green.
If it goes the wrong direction, change your $3 setting.

I was able to switch the red and black wires to match the others, (Blue, Black, Green, Red) and it solved the problem.

6 Likes

Great! Pretty easy right? Seems to be a few of these slipping through. Such a simple fix.
For those who don’t know, All you need to do is get the stepper coil pairs together (Black/Blue & Red/Green) to get the motor moving. If the motor goes the wrong direction, you can swap ONE of the coil pairs (change Red/Green to Green/Red) or, depending on the axis and situation, change your $3 setting.
Black, Blue, Red, Green == Blue, Black, Green, Red because BOTH pairs are switched.

6 Likes

Did the unexpected behavior damage anything? Sounds like that sometimes indicate ‘not fun’ things are happening…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.