Z Zero changing before first cut

I am having the same issue as this guy was except I already have a file loaded prior to seting my zeros. This doesnt happen everytime but on occasion after i set my zeros and double check them, I’ll start my project that was already loaded. I will be asked to insert a new tool, which is already loaded since its what i set the zeros with, and it will use the bit setter and jog over to start the cut. But some how my z zero has been changed and my bit will be slammed into my project, sometimes up to the collet nut which is forced into the wood as well.

I do the same process everytime i swap out stock, I’ll reset my zeros.

1- I load my project.
2- Go to jog and manually place my bit where i have my bitzero set up on the bottom left of my project
3- i let bitzero do its thing making sure the light changes everytime the bit makes contact, unplug bitzero making sure not to make contact with anything.
4- i manually move my spindle away from my new zeros
5 - too double check my zeros i rapid position my spindle to current x and y zero (this has never messed up)
6- i then rapid position my spindle to have my bit be 6mm above the z zero.
7- to make sure its 6mm i manually move my spindle down to stock 1mm at a time
8- i usually check the z zero a few times like this to be sure it is set correctly.
9- i go back to the job page and click start job
10- im asked to insert the first tool ( which is the one i checked my zeros with so there is no tool change.
11- the bit setter does its thing and my spindle moves over to my stock to make the first cut.

90% of the time it works fine, but the other 10% its like my z zero was lost or reset and the spindle just plunges extremely deep into my stock

After it messes up, I’ll reset my z zero manually, make sure my x and y are still the same and start job again. The second time has always worked fine after it screws up

Intermittent issues as you have found out are hard to diagnose. When I had this issue it turned out to be the connection at the stepper. I got a new cable from C3D. It happened again. Zip tied the connection as you can see in the attached.

Good Luck

In your process, try moving “Load Project” to after step 8.
In steps 10-11, Look at the Z readout before it measures the tool. Look again after it measures the tool. (It should return to the same spot). If you haven’t changed the tool, the Z should be the same.

I had a similar issue & finally realized I was closing the door of my enclosure when the spindle was parked at the front after measuring. My enclosure is made of PVC, and the doors are acrylic (both big static batteries.) The metal hinge on the door was contacting the motor mount. Static discharge somehow wonks out the work offset ???

1 Like

Hey Scott, have you gotten any closure on this issue? I just received my unit last week, assembled it and cut my first project on Friday. I started it up yesterday and had the same thing happen were it plunged into a piece of HDPE Plastic i cutting on first contact with the material. Today I also had issues but instead of Plunging deep into the material it wouldn’t contact the material. I’m pretty discouraged at this point. I have left messages for C3D to call me twice now and I have only received an email response.

Unfortunately not, I have just been really paranoid in checking, then triple checking my zeros. Im always right next to the E stop button when it makes its first plunge. Wish I could give you more, besides checking whats already been said, I have not found a solution. But with that being said, I also havent had it happen since “knock on wood”

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.