3/4" diameter cutter in MDF with Shapeoko 3

I wonder if it would be helpful to have a belt tensioner that would be similar to a guitar tuning peg/machine. Something where the belt wraps around a worm-gear driven cylinder. The goal would be to keep the effective length of belt constant independent of tension. You could either have a belt with one fixed end and the other end goes straight to the tuner or use an idler bearing (like the ones already on the Shapeoko) to act like the headstock nut on a guitar.

1 Like

The motocross rider in me immediately thought the first foam picture was a foot peg for an off road bike. I still like it as a holder though.

2 Likes

I have the Fusion models (posted here somewhere too) Were you going to do the CAM in Fusion?
I might would redesign if I were to use aluminum. Those were designed for 3D printing.

Are they available somewhere for others to download and print?

1 Like

Absolutely.

The experiment @jepho referred to is here. In place since then and it works perfectly. Improving the overall design and machining more compact versions is on my (rather large) to-do list.

Ha - I know exactly what you mean!

KDX450 in Wyoming, early 2000s:

CRF250X, in 2008 (not a great pic; a video grab):

picnic_table_jump

1 Like

Spiffy! Now your other picture with the digital tuner makes more sense. I have some spare Ibanez electric guitar tuning pegs. I’ll have to pull those out and see if they’d be large enough to fit the belts.

Got a dust cyclone set up near the machine and finally cut some MDF. The scrap piece of MDF was from the packaging that my new kitchen table came in (what the MDF is sitting on in the picture). The little hole next to the trough is from a staple that was in it.

trough:
3/4" 2-flute carbide ball-end router bit
10,000 rpm
10 ipm plunge
30 ipm feed
0.0625" DOC, 0.250" total depth

through slot:
1/4" 2-flute carbide upcut bit
18,000 rpm
20 ipm plunge
60 ipm feed
0.0625" DOC, 0.770" total depth

I hit the top surface with some fine sandpaper after taking it off the machine.

I need to make a proper dust shoe / boot. Holding the vacuum hose near the cutter leaves a lot to be desired in the way of dust collection. Thinking about making something like David Johnson’s DustJet. Also need to read up on anti-static measures. The space where I have my machine is about 45% humidity and the vacuum seems to generate a good bit of static and I don’t want to zap anything (including myself).

1 Like

DustJet threads:

https://community.carbide3d.com/t/a-new-dust-shoe-dust-jet/13683

https://community.carbide3d.com/t/dustjet-dust-shoe-v2/14540

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.