6in, 4in and 2.5in Adapters

Your partial quote of my message misrepresents what I said.

Iā€™m not here to argue with anyone.

Sorry if I misinterpreted and misrepresented what you said. I have no interest in arguing either - just trying to understand! :slightly_smiling_face:

Like climate change, thereā€™s arguments on both sides of that issue. Hereā€™s one and hereā€™s the other (which is likely significantly more scientific and credible IMO). I wonder how occupational health standards in other countries compare (hint-hint! @Julien,@others) For me itā€™s a no-brainer when unnecessary exposure to potential health risks is involved. I also donā€™t like waking up in the middle of the night coughing stuff up after a day at the shop.
Iā€™m not trying to argue with you, but this really is a potentially serious health issue that people should know about.

A typically dusty day at the shop.

1 Like

Here is the 6in to 4in Y adapter after approximately 38 hours of printing. Only 8-ish hours to go. Then Iā€™ll print the 4in dust shoe. Once I get a functional design, itā€™ll get posted to thingiverse with all my other stuff.

I started the first print of this Wednesday evening (I believe) using a partial roll of black PETG filament. It ran out Thursday morning, and before I could tell my son to use the partial roll of white PETG setting out, he had already replaced the black PETG with black PLA. I couldnā€™t fault him - I have never used PETG for such a long print and I have told him to just replace the roll with the same color if it ever runs out when I am at work. So I waited until new rolls were delivered Friday before starting it again. On the upside, he now knows to look at the roll and see what the material is before replacing it.

4 Likes

So cool to see useful things printed instead of Cos play (yikes), dragons and Star Wars crap!

Hope the PLA substitution didnā€™t result in too big of a mess.

2 Likes

Yeah, I print a lot of crap, but I occasionally print functional stuff as well. :slight_smile:

When I called my son and asked if the filament ran out, he hold me that it did about 30 minutes before I called. He told me what he did, and I told him about what was going on and told him to just hit the reset button and Iā€™d deal with it when I got home. The PLA was printing just fine on the PETG. The hot end temp was above the print range for the PLA, but it was printing fine. You could barely tell where the line was between them.

Then I gave it a little flex, and the PLA ring at the top popped right off.

I normally print with Hatchbox / AMZ3D PLA filament interchangeably (they come from the same factory), but this is eSUN PETG. I am using eSUN because when I first went to buy PETG on Amazon, there was only eSUN available. And now I use it because it is a known quantity and it prints fine.

1 Like

One of the more valuable links provided at Bill Pentzā€™s awesome and informative website is this one. It shows that, even if a 2ā€™ X 2ā€™ hood over the table saw could be oriented to effectively capture the dust produced above the table, it would take about 2400 CFM to do so. Thatā€™s the total capacity of our shopā€™s 7.5 HP dust collector. In contrast, a drum sander only requires about 600 CFM.

But, Iā€™m now questioning the wisdom of having the height of the table saw blade set so that the bladeā€™s upper gullets clear the top of the workpiece ā€œto clear sawdust from the gulletsā€! :thinking:

I run my table saw blade super low (only half the tooth height protruding above the workpiece) as to cut down on the amount of dust that gets shot over the top of the workpiece right into my chest and face. It helps considerably, but I am sure it contributes to me replacing them more often.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I intend to do from now on too. I canā€™t see how it would negatively impact blade life though. As I pointed out here, ā€œa typical 10-inch combination blade for a table or miter saw has 40 teeth and spins at 3450 RPM. A 100 IPM feed rate produces a 100/3450/40 = 0.0007 IPT chipload.ā€ So dust buildup in the gullets seems really unlikely. An added benefit is that the negative impact of an imperfectly aligned rip fence would be mitigated somewhat because less of the bladeā€™s cross-section is involved in the cutting process. :slightly_smiling_face:
P.S. Iā€™ve learned that getting saw blades sharpened is quite cost effective.

1 Like

I have never bothered to look into it with the life Iā€™m getting out of cheap blades, but I am also far from a ā€œfineā€ woodworker that runs $150+ saw blades. How much does it usually cost you?

Laguna charges $45 to sharpen their ~$200 carbide Resaw King Bandsaw blades. Iā€™m not sure about any others, but Iā€™ll ask around when I get the chance (if I remember).

1 Like

Forrest charges $22-$37 to sharpen table saw blades, depends upon number of teeth. You also have to factor in round trip shipping.

They will also repair/replace teeth, additional cost.

IMO Forrest blades stay sharp longer and yield glue-ready, zero tear out cuts.

2 Likes

After 45 hours and 45 minutes, the 6in to two 4in adapter is done (on the left) and for comparison, the 6in to 4in and 2.5in adapter is on the right.

Everything fits just fine, so Iā€™ll be putting it on thingiverse here with all of the other adapters I have.

EDIT: I just tried uploading them to Thingiverse, but it is not allowing me to upload them (itā€™s broken again/still).

Also, since I canā€™t seem to stop designing things (whether they are actually needed or not) here is something that will allow me to watch as very small engravings are cut while still sucking up the dust (hopefully). It is made to fit on a 2.5in flex hose. I have the hose end sitting 0.2in higher than the cut out area so that there is room for the flex hose and hose clamp and still allow the flat part to sit on the work piece.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve heard that they do a really good job too!

1 Like

Awesome! Let us know how they work! :grinning:

2 Likes

The only valid arguments on climate change are the ones which show that it is happening.

All the arguments against are specious, seizing upon tiny inconsistencies in the data / modeling which has continually improved, and become more accurate as our understanding becomes better.

It comes down to 3 basic facts:

• CO2 is a greenhouse gas ā€” this has been known since the 18th century and can be demonstrated by experiment quite easily
  • burning fossil fuels releases CO which bonds with oxygen to make CO2 ā€” anyone who doesnā€™t believe that is invited to test their disbelief by idling a vehicle in an enclosed garage
  • the added CO2 results in the planet either absorbing the CO2 in unanticipated ways (the ocean in particular has absorbed a lot more than early climate models predicted), or heating the planet

Unless one can come up with a plain and logical explanation for what the CO2 is doing which will not ultimately result in the planet increasing its absorption of solar energy or what said energy is doing besides heating up the planet, one doesnā€™t have a valid argument against the brutal reality of climate change.

8 Likes

Yup! Yet nonsensical arguments against it persist nevertheless (and even seem to be gaining traction!) I guess thatā€™s what happens when facts no longer matter! :cry:

2 Likes

You might find this thread worth a look! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.