Alternate dust hose routing

Recently got my Shapeoko Pro (Standard) set up and doing some test/sample cuts. After standing there holding one end of the hose while a 5 minute cut was executed, I realized that the next order of business for me needed to be routing the dust collection hose. I see a lot of setups where the hose is suspended from above, and I briefly tried that out in my garage shop.

Now while it makes sense to rout the hose up the middle when you’ve got an enclosure around your Shapeoko, mine’s just on a table. The thought occurred to me that I could anchor the hose to the left-end of the X-Axis Gantry, and then down and over to my dust vac.

To mock it up I used some zip ties. Here’s the view from above:

I then attached a hose clamp to the side of my table, about mid-way of the Y-Axis travel. Here’s the hose at max stretch:

And at max compression:

Here’s a zipped video of what it looks like in action:
Sequence 03.mp4.zip (2.1 MB)

If this works out for me, the next step would be to replace the Rube Goldberg zip ties with something probably 3D printed. I’ve seen other threads here with 3D printed hose connections for the top of the Z-Axis sled, etc and wondering if those could be adapted here.

Any thoughts, ideas welcome.

2 Likes

This setup will work as long as the hose does not droop onto the table after it gets stretched for a while. I made what I call a diving board above my xxl and the dc hose comes in from about the center of the xxl from above. For my XL I made a boom that has the dc hose dropping from the top at about the midway point above the xl table.

3 Likes

I can model a Nema 23 cap with a hose ring on top? I need the exact size of your hose though. My prevous models use Peachtree hoses 2.75"
I modeled a full set of hose parts for S3 HDZ a while back…
https://community.carbide3d.com/t/3d-printed-hose-routing-and-dust-boot-hose-adapters-for-shapeoko/24081

Yes, a NEMA 23 cap to hold the hose would be great - although it’ll be on the side since I’m using one of the Y-axis motors.

The Rockler hose I’m using (https://www.rockler.com/dust-right-reg-2-1-2-expandable-shop-vacuum-hose-kit ) measures 3" in outside diameter

I wish my Shapeoko Pro had an HDZ, guess I’ll have to wait for the undoubtably expensive upgrade.

thanks!

• Bennett
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.