Calling All Makers: Carbide Community Competition #1

:raised_hands: Carbide Community Competition #1 :raised_hands:

The Lego Batman movie is coming out soon!
So this first competition’s only rule is keep it Lego themed in any way. This should keep the barrier to entry low, I would love to see these competitions become a weekly event that build our Design and Making abilities by sharing ideas and inspiring each other.

As a note, Schools are a big part of our Carbide 3D Community and they need fundraising projects to build on their Machines, so keep that in mind - if you can share your design file, it will help our kids!

Rules:
Lego theme.

Material: Open

Machine: Nomad or Shapeoko

Tool: Open, (1/16th endmill suggested)

Required Info in your Post:
Photos! The More the better.
A) Materials used
B) Cutters
C) Design software
D) Machine

…And these additional details I would think would help earn votes from the Community but are not required:
E) Work-holding
F) Finishing
G) Sourcing of supplies is often very helpful.
H) Concept Sketch
I) Machining Time
J) Carbide Create .C2D file

Voting will be done with the heart, the post that gets the most likes wins.

February 18th we will tally the votes.

Prize to be determined, feel free to hint at what you would like in your post. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

For those looking to get started with a test cut heres a Carbide Create file I have tested on the Nomad with a 1/16th square endmill.
Lego Brick Pattern.c2d (92.6 KB)

Good Luck

Questions and comments welcome, DM me and I will update this post if necessary.

-A

4 Likes

This picture might be useful (1 LDU is 1/64-inch or 0.3967 mm)

Also, did you know that the hole in the bottom of a Lego is the right size for an M6 tap?

-j

5 Likes

What’s the timeline for this competition?

@UnionNine

February 18th.

1 Like

Just ordered some cutters. What are the prizes?

@atrueresistance

Jorge has something in mind,…
I was going to listen for hints so as to make the prize have some personal significance.
Did you win last time?

I did not, there wasn’t enough time last competition. I like this one it gives me more time.

Its Throwback Thursday! Im sharing the Hardwood Lego bricks file and toolpath settings below, maybe you can use it for something:

I never thought this quick little video would have 70k views!

legobrick job.mcf (1.1 MB)

wood_lego brick settings.tps (2.1 KB)

5 Likes

Saw a nice video with you in it @Apollo @8:49 in you guys did a great job :slight_smile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6g9eTP5H1Q

1 Like

Do you happen to have an .stl of your Lego Bricks?
…or how do I open the files above? Neither Carbide Create nor Aspire seems to recognize them.

.mcf is MeshCAM.

.stl on GrabCAD: https://grabcad.com/library/lego-brick-2x4-1#!

2 Likes

Fusion Link Sadly, I think I need to square my spindle a bit more. :frowning:

Broke a bit, that is why you get more than one. :slight_smile: Made it all the way to the back side before a problem happened. Does a cutting feed of 10 in/min with ramp set to 10 in/min and plunge set to 5 in/min seem too fast? .01" maximum roughing stepdown and .01" step over with the Dewalt set to 27,000 RPM with a .0393701" bit.

2 Likes

Your feeds seem conservative to me.
I usually start out 50% width and depth and .001" per tooth per revolution with a small bit, but yours is TINY :slight_smile:
Nice job too.

1 Like

@atrueresistance

What cutter did you use?
I see a picture of very small endmills,…

OpenSCAD for creating any size brick you might want:

1 Like

I think I have to have a go at this this weekend. But what to make?? The only prize I want is for the touch probe to be realeased :wink:

2 Likes

Overall it turned out really well. The legos fit perfectly with each other as well as real legos. The wood i purchased from the local store. I should of used some higher quality hard wood because the pine had issues tearing but it worked. For work holding I designed holes in the wood and just bolted it to the table. Was very sturdy. This also allowed me to flip the wood and mill the other side and the cuts would line up perfectly with no effort. I hope you like! Hint Hint :slight_smile:

Material: 3/4 inch pine
Cutters: 1/4 2 flute end mill, 1/8 4 flute end mill (purchased both cutters from Amazon)
Design software: Fusion 360
Measurements: http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-LEGO/step2/The-measure-of-LEGO/
Machine: Shapeoko 3
My CAD/CAM File: http://a360.co/2kQGlmd

11 Likes

Fair play - you have more patience then me. Cracking job!

Sneak peek of the test I made today for my entry…

1 Like

Hmmm. Very curious. Maybe I see the edge of bat wings?
Cant wait.
Well I didnt know I could see your deleted post for 24 hrs. :slight_smile:
That kinda gives it away LOL.

1 Like