Hi all - I got my Shapeoko some months ago and having the time of my life.
I’m running a small manufacturing of kits (see below) and one of the items is an intricate bamboo-plywood box created entirely on the Shapeoko, and being assembled with no glue or nails. Came out a beauty!
My task now is to get into manufacturing mode, and that’s where I am seeing some simple improvements that Carbide Create (and Motion) could use to make the software more production oriented. Mostly small items…
I have been a software developer for >25 years specializing in graphic automation, so this is perfectly aligned with what I do well.
I listed some bugs and requests below, feel free to comment. I also would be happy to join any beta program to help test.
Some of the bugs I found have to do with selecting objects, which is super important. Selecting the incorrect object before creating a toolpath could mean a ruined workpiece.
- When trying to add to a selection with the shift key, if I shift-click and miss the object, everything gets deselected. The selection should remain the same.
- Drag-select encompasses more than needed. Objects that are not inside the marquee selection are all included in the selection
- Small objects can be literally impossible to select
- Indication of objects hovered over should be more pronounced. Right now the line becomes a tiny bit darker but the difference is almost impossible to see.
- Import SVG comes in at 75% of size it is in Illustrator
- When importing SVG and then trying to move the objects imported, other objects sometimes get ‘selected’ by error and move as well.
- Top buttons operation: If user is in Toolpath-mode, then click settings, click Ok to exit settings, the screen goes to Design mode instead of going back to toolpath mode.
- Toolpath mode disregards grouped objects when selecting
- Shortcuts for group, ungroup: (Command-G, Shift-Command-G)
- S = scale
- R - rotate
- Command +/- for zoom in/out
- Lock/unlock objects
- Layers in design-mode for easy hiding, locking
- Redo capability
- Move Retract Height setting to specific tool path, or allow tool path to override retract height. This will be super-useful when starting with a toolpath for screws. The workpiece is not yet screwed to the spoil board in the middle and may be higher, requiring a higher retraction.
- Better tab addition: Treat tabs like normal objects I can move and delete individually
- A ‘hole’ tool in Design-mode would be great as right now I have no way of using the 1/4” bit to just bore a 1/4” hole.
- Allow custom key-binding for Jog commands so that it is easier to program a separate keypad. Otherwise it’s a chore…
- Higher contrast between enabled/disabled/default buttons. It is sometimes difficult to tell if buttons are available or not.
- Pocket cuts leave a sliver of material in the middle. Needs a small overlap on first inner-loop.
- Rough preview in Run screen. I want a small preview of the file for final verification.
- Would be nice if we can have custom steps between toolpaths, such as ‘Pause’, ‘pause and raise spindle’, and add a custom message.
- In Rapid-jogging, it would be great if I can click on the board-mockup and have the spindle rapid-jog to that position.