Hmm. I was thinking that the Lenovo was fanless.
I guess I will rethink it.
might depend on the model. Mine sure wasnt
This is so awesome, you guys should definitely continue the Linux route. Now I get to reutilize a computer that would not have been able to go to Win 11 and everything runs excellent with Linux mint 22 and Carbide Motion.
I’ve been watching this thread and while I’m a little computer savvy I’ve never seen or used Linux. So last night I took an old laptop running Win10 that can’t be “upgraded” to Win11 and installed Mint Cinnamon on it. Totally blew Win10 off it and wow it runs awesome!
I had ChatGPT assist with getting it totally setup, installed CM and mapped to my OneDrive so I can access my files.
Hopefully the garage warms up enough to where my heater will actually do the job and then I’ll try running my machine with CM on Linux.
Pretty cool!
I think you will be happy with Linux. My progression was Windows (for 20 yrs), then Mac and then Linux so that I could re-purpose older PC hardware. Take a look at WineTricks (it’s free)…it will allow you to run Carbide Create (Windows version) on your Linux platform. I’ve been running CC (free edition) under Linux for a while now relatively error free with Winetricks. I’m still running CM on my MAC, but that’s only because I haven’t taken time to transition yet, hopefully this month! FWIW…Linux version Kubuntu, hopefully Mint Cinnamon will have some results.
I’ve also been on Windows forever and have been using it for CC and CM. I have a Macbook Air that I use for all my everyday computer stuff. I installed Wine as well and also installed CC Pro. The only thing I have to figure out is how to map OneDrive to it…just haven’t got there yet.
I did some Linux research prior to taking the leap. I told ChatGPT what I had for a laptop and that I only wanted to run CM. Recommendation was Cinnamon and from what I’ve seen so far it’s really good. I like that I can configure everything the way I want and not the way MS wanted
Hey all. I was playing around today. I am not working on a Carbide project right now, however I have been playing with Linux, testing out different distros. Currently I have 4 distros multi booting on an older Lenovo Think Center circa 2012. I got to a point where I decided to see what C3D programs would load. ![]()
System:
Lenovo Think Center circa 2012. Linux Mint 22.3 MATE. Just one of my sandbox I choose to test on.
CC(windows) loaded under Wine:
Very simple install.
I installed “Wine Stable” from the “software manager”.
In Terminal I called Wine with the windows CC install program.
It installed with no issue, It created an icon in my menu that calls Wine environment with Carbide Create.
It opens and I did a very simple design, that was it. No real hard testing. at this point.
Interesting enough this same machine had Win10 with CC installed on it. The Simulator runs far better in Wine under Linux then it did on Win10 Hmmm ![]()
FYI it also created a link on the desktop however this is from the windows install and therefore is not required, just delete it as it tries to run CC directly, you need to run it in via Wine. Copy the menu icon wine installed to your desktop.
For CM:
Again simple. I just ran flatpak install CarbideMotion.flatpak as @robgrz said above,
Hit Y a couple of times and in it loaded fine. no errors or other files needed.
I just got a couple of FYI warnings of dependency packages that will not receive updates anymore.
It added the icon to the menu. You can copy the menu icon to your desktop.
I don’t currently have it hooked up to my machine so that’s as far as I got.
It would take a bit to get the Rpi out and replace it. so the a problem for later ![]()
What works for me:
I have been looking for a solution for my setup. which box and which distro ?
Not to mention I am sick of Windows ![]()
Above has been mentioned fanless N100 for around $150.00. I am in Canada and I am nowhere close to finding that, however I own 3 of these little Lenovo Thick Centers 7" inches square and 1 3/8 inches tall. Yes it has a fan however, in my current system my Rpi is right up inside the torsion box deck where it is pretty much dust free.
I also checked locally and these used Think Centers are a dime a dozen, $100.00Can for circa 2012 - $150.00 for 2016 - $200.00 for 2020 - $300.00 for 2023. Seems pretty cheap to me.
Now not to start a debate on which Linux Distro is the best as there are lots of good ones out there however this is just what works for me and my needs and I thought I would share. ![]()
I have tried several Distros and I am no stranger to Linux. Each distro has its goals and reason for being. I just seem to like Mint for look and feel, company methodology and standards, easy to transition to desktop, community support and stability. It is one of the most downloaded and is nicely packaged as small, med and large
and easy to adjust to. I did like a lot of the other ones, some with some really cool desktop environments but this is where I am settling in at for my shop needs. And so far CC and CM seem to work along with a bunch of other programs I use.
As I said, just sharing the path I am going down ![]()
Keep up the good work C3D:)
Looking for assistance in getting CM to see S3XXL from Linux.
Macbook Pro12 running MacOS connects and drives S3XXL just fine.
Boot Macbook into Kubuntu (KDE Plasma 5.27), install and load up CM from Flatpak (per earlier instructions).
CM loads just fine.
Run Setup New Device, select Shapeoko 3, turn on S3XXL and click Next
Connect to Machine button/box lights up as it should.
Select “Connect to Machine” and get the follow message box:
Carbide Motion was not able to connect to the machine. This could be an operating system problem or another program might be using the device. Please reboot
I have rebooted multiple times…same results.
Kubuntu can see the Shapeoko controller via USB, system settings reports the following USB
device:
Nomad Pro
Serial 751363,long string of numbers
USB Ver 1.10
Speed 12MBits/S
Boot MacBook Pro back into MacOS, load Carbide Motion (v 640) and it sees and controls the S3XXL with no issue. Doesn’t appear to be a “hardware” issue with MacBook, cabling or S3XXL controller.
Anyone have similar issues with initial attempts of CM on Linux? Or suggestions…
Thanks
Maybe it’s a permissions issue with the USB port & the OS isn’t giving it to CM?
I believe that came up with the Pi version a couple years ago.
Did you add the account in question to the “Dialout” group?
I have the same issue but haven’t gotten around to troubleshooting it yet. I’m going to check the installation later to make sure all the files were installed from the flatpak
HP laptop Win 10
Linux Mint Cinnamon
SO4S
Will…RESOLVED! Thanks for the solution!
For others, here is what worked for me (on Kubuntu) from (how to modify dialout ((from the internet)))
Dialout Group Setup
To allow users to access serial devices like /dev/ttyUSB0 or /dev/ttyS0 on Kubuntu, add the user to the dialout group. This is required for tools like kppp , wvdial , minicom , and Arduino IDE to communicate with modems or USB serial devices.
- Open a terminal and run:
sudo usermod -a -G dialout $USER
Replace$USERwith your username if needed (useecho $USERto confirm). - Log out and log back in for the group change to take effect. Verify with:
groups
The output should includedialout.
I’ll try this later today and see if it works for me as well
My issue was the same as @dnm122865. Thanks for the fix @WillAdams
As an update…
CM on Kubuntu Linux just completed a 40 minute, multi bit, multi speed change carve with no issues. I think a little work/tweaks around announcing which bit to change needs some work, the text provided is not descriptive enough. If I had not listed my bits out in change order, I would not have been able to tell which bit is needed. If anyone is interested I can take screen captures of what I’m seeing…and compare to how older versions of CM posted change bit messages.
Everything else is great and it allows me to have a more current OS running on still great Apple MacBook Pro12 hardware that I like using in my shop!
Thanks C3D team for this upgrade!
I wrote a bit about tool numbering strategies at:
the big thing though is to just have a consistent numbering scheme and stick with it.
I would love to see both Carbide Motion and Create as a Linux app. I installed Carbide Motion fine using Bottles in Linux. I shut down the PC and the very next day I attempted to use the app again… but this time it would crash whenever trying to start the Motion executable file. I use both Zorin OS and Mint. I had tried with Bottles in Zorin… I will try again in Mint… It’s the only Windows based app I need to completely get off windows.
I’ve been running via Linux for over a month now. On my daily driver, PopOS 24.04 (based on Ubuntu), I’m running the latest version of Carbide Create Pro via Wine. No issues at all. I just did a 12-hour, 14"x14" 3D carve of the north fork of the Snoqualmie River that utilized all 16 CPU cores to calculate the tool paths. My Shapeoko 5.1 Pro is running the above linked Carbide Motion flatpak app in Mint on an old Lenovo (AMD Ryzen 5 Pro 4-core) as well as a backup copy of Create via Wine. I have had no issues on either computer.
I have not yet tried running Motion native in Wine, but I think that whenever the next version gets released, I’ll probably give that a try.
Im definitely interested in a linux version. Any new updates on this? Plans to continue forward?
I have a Surface 5 Pro that I use for my Shapeoko that can’t be updated to Win11. It’s out of support and I’m about to nuke Windows 10 and install Ubuntu. I just want to confirm that Carbide Motion is able to be installed and run my 5 Pro? Thanks.