Confusing BitZero Issues - revisited

And when I run my files I don’t get an error - until I do. It’s random, @WillAdams, and by definition not repeatable.

Jeez.

1 Like

Please provide a list of all the ways that your files have been out to support@carbide3d.com and we’ll do our best to work out with you how to resolve this.

Peter in your recap above if I read correctly you design on the Mac and run CM on a Windows machine. I know that it may be a stretch since Windows and Mac play well together now that it may be just something in transalation between the two. Have you tried doing both design and running from the Mac and design and running from the PC? I have seen weird things happen cross platform before. Also running all the latest software may get rid of this bug.

2 Likes

I’m not sure of that would cause a random event, but I’ve got my MS Windows machine running in MS Remote Desktop on my Mac, so trying it wouldn’t be a problem.

I’ll give it a go, thank you.

And so the circle closes.

You no longer inspire me, @WillAdams, and my future with Shapeoko is dwindling fast.

1 Like

Please write in to support@carbide3d.com with your suggestion for how this should be researched and resolved.

I hope you’re not being as flippant as that sounds to me, but I’ve given all the information I can provide in this thread (and the previous one).

I don’t think it’s up to me to tell you how to research and resolve this - it’s down to Carbide3D. They do not employ me in a support role.

Watch out for the listing to sell my XXL, as I do not appear to be competent to use it.

2 Likes

Not trying to be flippant — we offer support via e-mail primarily — the forum here is provided as a convenience for users, and is not intended as an official support mechanism.

Please at least write in to support@carbide3d.com w/ links to the two threads and any thoughts you would be willing to share on the difficulties which you are having and we will do our best to assist.

Support request submitted.

1 Like

Peter…
I call them “Gremlins”, something that causes intermittent issues and is hard to track and find.
Your machine must have a Gremlin running around in it…
anyhow, I don’t see Will’s response as “flippant”, rather it appears as he is asking for your ideas and suggestions on tracking this Gremlin. I could be wrong…
of course, you have already read my suggestion as to unhooking all peripherals.
Maybe start with a bare stock set-up. Cut for a while and see how it goes.
Re-install “ONE” item and cut for a while, see how it goes.
Then unhook the first item and try another.
There are only 3, right, a bit runner, a bit probe and a bit setter?
my bets would be as follows
bit runner = unlikely culprit
bit probe = ehh… not likely either
bit setter = hmmm…bit setter or associated circuitry.
a bad motion control board? = unlikely, but if all else fails.
an errant command from/in Carbide Motion = unlikely, but possible, although, that would have taken some form of user input command.
It looks like I am leaning towards unhooking the Bit Setter and re config CM.
I hope you can get this sorted and get to cutting.
also, all of the above is me just trying to be encouraging. I am no expert and have very little shapeoko experience.

2 Likes

This looks like the best option to me, too. In truth, and for a different reason, the CM control board has been replaced - but the problem first occurred before that was changed.

Maybe I’m looking at this too simply, but the BitSetter sets the X, Y and Z zeros of the stock relative to the bottom of the probe, then the BitSetter adjusts the Z value based on the length of the tool replacing the probe. If the tool cuts too deep from that point, the problem must be somewhere there, as there is nothing to change the Z value mid-project, except an impact, but that’s not happening.

Still, it’s in the hands of Support now, so we’ll see wif they can help!

And believe me when I say how much I appreciate that!

4 Likes

This may be a dumb question. But is it possible to take his file that fails. Remove all gcode after the point that the machine is positioned to the point the the next instruction will make the first plunge. Put in a g4 code or something that will make the machine stop with the router turned off. If everything is correct the distance between the bit and the stock should always be the same. Repeat this process multiple time and see if the bit is always at the same distance from the stock. If not look at the log to see if it show the problem.
Just my thought on troubleshooting this problem.

Sorry if I keep butting in. I was having lunch with my wife today and somehow the conversation ended up about this thread. My wife knows very little about computer and CNC machines. But she asked me a question that clicked in my mind. This thread has talked about almost everything that could cause the problem but the USB connection. It seems to me that most of the things mentioned previously should cause a small change in position of the router bit. If the Z pulley slipped the Z location would be further from the stock not closer. I think the only way for the Z to go deeper is for the controller to tell it to go deeper. If one logs everything. The log only shows what CM sends to the controller not what the controller receives. I don’t think do to parity that a code sent to the controller could be altered. But it is possible I think for the controller to miss or skip codes. This would not show up in the CM log. I think this would happen of there is a problem with the USB interface. One could try a different cable or a different port on the windows computer or try a different computer.

3 Likes

Another troubleshooting idea may be to run a screen recorder like Flash Back Recorder in the background. One could start the recorder then open CM, set zeros and run your gcode. The recorder will catch all the data and prompts CM displays from start to finish. If something goes wrong with the cut the recorded screen grab may help to determine when and why. Delete the video if all turns out well and reload before the next job.

5 Likes

The problem I’ve been experiencing is in the hands of Support, but I’ve now experienced the same issue with the test files provided by them.

Essentially, the test cuts have gone well if I start each cut by turning everything off and starting fresh each time.

But, with the agreement of support, I tried the fourth cut to follow on from the third, i.e. not restarting CM or the Shapeoko, and not carrying out the initialisation process. I didn’t move the stock either, but started the new cut in a different place. I zeroed the X and Y axes then checked the stock height with the BitZero, without a problem - and the zeros were consistent with previous cuts.

I then ran the project and, after the BitSetter process completed and I checked the spindle speed, the bit plunged into the stock, cutting a 14.33mm deep hole into it. The maximum depth of cut of the test file was 4mm, so this was too deep.

I aborted the project and returned the spindle to X=0, Y=0, then jogged the cutter down to just touching the surface of the stock, and would expect Z=0, but this was not the case. The actual Z setting was 17.370mm, so the machine ‘believes’ the top of the stock is actually 17.37mm into the 18mm board.

I think running the same project consecutively should not present a problem, but this is definitely what happened, so my advice to those of you out there who have experienced the same - and it’s probably related to high or low Z heights - is to be on your guard!

1 Like

I also think those that are experiencing the same issues should report to support. More formal reports collected would allow tracking the magnitude and hopefully more testing to try and get to the root cause.

3 Likes

@NewToThis Capture any logs?

Sadly not. In hindsight…!

TBH, Support didn’t suggest it, and I (naïvely) just followed instructions :frowning:

It’s been a while since I’ve reported on this thread, to give Support the opportunity to help me with the issue, as per Will’s instruction…

Everything went well, for a while at least, but after a few email exchanges (6th to the 14th July) and about an hour of one-to-one support over FaceTime (on the 14th July), Support came to the conclusion it was probably user error - as all test cuts I did using their instructions went well, but when I did this…

…it was just a coincidence, or something I’d done wrong, so I should continue my projects and write a step-by-step log of everything Action for the next five projects or so.

My last email to Support (14th July) asked for clarification of some other things from the discussion, but I’ve received no response. At all.

2 Likes

Clearly they don’t trust their own employees enough to ask them to help with this (and Covid 19 is not a valid excuse not to), which is quite disappointing. They must feel really undervalued!

As far as a non-merchantable product claim is concerned, I have already looked into the Small Claims Court process and this is definitely within their remit, so I will submit a claim to the Court if Carbide3D fail to respond or do not resolve the issue. They’ve had long enough.

As this was purchased from a UK retailer, they will be the ones to bear the brunt of this, but that’s the way it goes, but trust me when I say Carbide3D are not on my Christmas card list.

2 Likes