Confusing Bitzero Issues

Gotcha. Is it possible to upload the video elsewhere and post a link to it?

That sounds like the correct process to me.

I’d take note of your Z positions after your BitZero operation. Check the rapid Z 0 +6mm position for a sanity check. Trying to narrow down when things go awry would help homing in on a solution.

For the record, I’m a bit of an odd ball and

• Load the gage pin prior to turning the machine on,
  • Run homing initialization,
  • Run BitSetter operation,
  • Set origin using BitZero V1,
  • Use “change tool” to switch to an end mill,
    *If I’ve been spending too much time on the forum reading random acts of BitSetter violence and not actually using my machine, this is when I verify Z 0 +6mm
  • Load file,
  • Start program,
  • Run through the BitSetter prompts - not changing my end mill.
    *If I’m using F360 then I typically have set it so that it “knows” that I have the first tool installed and thus skips the pre-program start BitSetter op; and in the future I may just edit out the BitSetter op in my other gcodes generated from Carbide Motion.
2 Likes

I understand that when running a program it goes to the Bit setter automatically.
I was told by support that selecting the New Tool Button will definitely clear out the previous setting that is sometimes held in memory. I don’t know if this is a glitch or what. I’m just passing on what I was told.
Not to say I may have misinterpreted what I was told, but I have not had any issues since following this procedure.

What do you mean by +6mm?

Brian means the Rapid Position panel’s option that goes to one of the current X and Y, or the current Z + 6mm.

2 Likes

So you’re saying there is a new tool button to click before the Bitzero probing cycle? Or after the bitzero, and before it goes to the bitsetter?

There’s a button. But to be honest, your process is identical to mine, and looks totally correct. You shouldn’t have to do anything more than what you are doing.

I guess the rather exhaustive interrogation is to try to see if we’ve missed something or not understood what you are doing 100% correctly.

2 Likes

Following. Luke this has happened to me, also, and I follow the exact same procedures as you.

1 Like

Yeah, I am trying to explain myself the best way I can. I know there is no issues with my process, because clearly it has worked numerous times. What I am starting to think is it’s plunging after my very first practice piece. (I do so many practice pieces for my plugs because I need to change up the start depths to find the tightest fit). And for whatever reason the depths get thrown off from my first piece until I shutdown my machine and restart the next day.

I feel like my only option is to stop using the Bitzero all together, being that it has only caused me issues since purchase.

Very upsetting and setting me back on numerous projects losing money

Have you been using the BitSetter before you purchased the BitZero?

From what I’ve seen, more people have mentioned issues when introducing the BitSetter to their process.

@lukecp721 Yes…that is the correct procedure. As long as you are initializing the bitsetter with the same bit that you are probing, that should work.

In other words, it beats me.

I don’t remember, pretty sure I got them roughly at the same time.

This issue only occurs when I am doing my plugs, (multiple practice cuts with slightly varying start depths). There has got to be some correlation as too why

You say multiple practice cuts. Are you using bitsetter before each practice cut?

Yes. After each practice cut that doesn’t fit correctly I re-zero a new piece of stock XYZ, load the new file, start the job, insert the endmill, and it goes to the bitsetter again then I resume the job and it plummets (sometimes) other times the depths are just off.

Perhaps we should change focus to what changes you are making to the files that forces you to to reload it? Any chance the file changes are causing this?

Edit: you can rerun the same file many times without reloading it, but if you reload the same file between cuts there is a small chance you could accidentally load the wrong one.

Are you changing back to the gage pin when you re-zero a new piece of stock XYZ; and if you are, are you using the “New Tool” button to change from end mill to gage pin? Do you insert the previously used end mill or insert a different one after words?

The only changes I am making is the start depths… and I re-save the same file with the new start depth

Yes when I re-zero for the new stock I Install the gage pin like originally… I never saw anything for new tool. Once I finished a practice piece and realized it didn’t work I just jogged the pin over to the new stock and re-zeroed with the bitzero and continued that process

You should never change what’s in the collet unless there’s a prompt telling you to do it.

Given that restriction, is there a time when you are changing it - even for the probe - without a prompt in CM?

2 Likes