Converting images to a carvable object

Is there any literature available or can anybody point me in the right direction for how to convert an image to a usable stl or other way of converting to make a 3D carve? I have purchased files and have had some success with 3D carving, however I haven’t carved my own images yet. I guess its grey scale height mapping or something for carbide create pro?

If you have a depth map pixel image where light/dark maps to height/depth, just import it:

using “Import Image” (second icon from the left)

Then assign 3D roughing and Finishing toolpaths and set up any additional geometry/toolpaths you wish.

Are there any resources for how to create a depth mapped image for 3D carving? I have found some articles for terrain topography and for hologram stuff but not much for CNC.

Try this link

https://fenrus75.github.io/FenrusCNCtools/javascript/stl2png.html

2 Likes

What is the image you are starting with? Is it a photograph of a person, animal, object?
And what are you trying to make it look like in 3D? A layered carve that imitates 3D, or an actual realistic carving?

There are ways to represent a photograph in a project, but to convert a photograph to a 3D object is not possible (or very difficult).

2 Likes

I drew up a panel for a door once:

and revisited this in more detail for drawing and modeling stars:

2 Likes

I downloaded some 3D files off Etsy that I have no understanding of how they are made. I think it was an STL I used but it came in to cc pro as a greyscale height map. I made this 24” tall octopus from that model but I want to learn how to produce the 3D model.

1 Like

3d modelling from scratch isnt an easy task (but AI might sort that out soon).

I model in Blender3d. It is free and can produce accurate to size stl files or flattem to an SVG set of outlines or if you use Raycasting you can create a Bas Relief from a 3D model. I then import these into VCarve.

1st step is to learn Blender or other 3d modelling package. I’ve also used F360 which more parametric but struggles with big 3d meshes.

3 Likes

One 3D design tool to look at is Plasticity 3D:

Or, Moment of Inspiration:

Sculptris and ZSculpt are two other names which come up regularly, as well as of course Blender which @AndyP mentioned.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.