This is the 2nd time this happened. I’ve ensured everything is square, belts are tight.
I have a piece of aluminum that is about 360x360x9.5mm that I am attempting to cut down to 350x350mm.
The first time I used a 1/4" single flute endmill, the 2nd time, a 1/4" 3 flute endmill. After it is cut, it measures 351mm on my tape. I thought that maybe my tape is just crap, so I flipped it to cut on the bottom side.
Both the top and the bottom have a light chamfer. After the first time it failed, I thought maybe I didn’t have it square to the machine when I flipped it. This time, before I flipped it, I screwed down some metal strips on the top and side to serve as “indexing pins” so to speak.
I flipped it, re-zero’d with the touch probe (since it is now cut out of the original stock). The chamfer toolpath started at around the 3 o’clock position. It was cutting just fine until it made the turn to cut the bottom, (that is, along the X axis at the front of the machine) when I noticed the bit wasn’t even touching the machine, it was off by about 1mm.
I immediately stopped the job because the first time I tried it, I let it go and it tried to make up the 1mm by cutting 1mm into the back side.
It is like the touch probe is “off”. I used a 1/8" endmill to probe (102-Z).
I cannot verify the plate is actually 351mm after the cut. The tape says it is, but I have nothing to back that up. So, I’m not sure if the issues are one and the same.
Here is the fusion 360 file