Designing a soundproof'ish enclosure for my new SO3

Photos please? Thanks

I just finished the enclosure today. It became really ugly (girlfriend is not too happy), but it seems to be doing its intended purpose really well, which is to lower the noise.

Here’s how it ended up:

I’ve only tried it with the vacuum on so far and it seems to lower the noise dramatically. I’ve also tried to feel in the baffles in the back and it’s quite clear that it sucks in air from the top baffle and releases air from the bottom baffle, so they seem to work as intended as well.

I ended up with a weird solution for locking the doors tight (as you can see in the pictures). It works really well (the seal is really tight), but it’s an annoying solution since it takes some time to open and close the doors. I didn’t know what else to do with the design I ended up with. If you have any ideas let me know!

3 Likes

You could use a speed nut instead:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/hardware/jig-and-fixture-parts/101377-1-4-20-and-5-16-18-brass-speed-nuts

with a door lock like that you might want to put an estop button on the outside for the oh **** cases

1 Like

For locking my enclosure door I 3D-printed that thing:

but given your setup there would probably not be a very convenient place to attach it.

What about strong magnets where the washer & nut currently is ? (adding handles, then, to open the doors)

Don’t tell the GF that it’s ugly, tell her that you deliberately left the finish plain so that she could choose how to decorate it :wink:

2 Likes

Use the machine to make a nice covering for the enclosure of plywood (to cover the large areas) and nice wood (for corners/edges)?

1 Like

Would be interested to know the decibel difference. Also, which insulation did you use?

1 Like

Nice work man. As far as the look and feel, I’ve had some ‘gf friendly’ success with mdf and masonite surfaces - as polished as they are - in achieving a faux grain look and finish using a heavy colored varnish. See attached photoshop barn door sketch to get the idea. Chicks love this kind of look coupled together with something else more modern in the same room.

3 Likes

@sushidub Haha… love it :slight_smile:.

@Intohouse I should be making some initial tests today. I’ll try to measure the Db and post on here.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.