DFX or SVG file for noob?

Hello I am new to CNC carving and I am in the learning process so that when I get my machine I can get right to it! For a new person like me, what would you suggest I use as a free art program that can upload the best and easiest files for carbide create to use?

For making DXF files there’s LibreCAD, for making SVGs there is Inkscape and the various other free SVG editors.

If you’re willing to consider an inexpensive commercial program I’d suggest looking at Serif’s Affinity Designer.

What sort of work do you wish to do and how do you plan to approach it?

2 Likes

I’m sorry if this is a re-post, I don’t see what I replied, with on the thread. My initial projects will consist of fairly simple, lettered signs, and then as I get good with it, moving into inlay work.
Is there a difference in the way the two files work at some point between the picture and the cutting?

DXF files are more problematic in my experience, and may require that one learn a CAD tool (I’ve never used LibreCAD for anything beyond opening a file and re-saving it as a “MakerCAM SVG” and the one time I tried to do anything wasn’t able to find a matching point in the manual so dropped it).

SVG files are standard and widely used, and I’d argue that Inkscape is the de facto standard for editing them.

Either approach would work for the sort of work you note, but SVG files would be simpler I believe (there are more problems w/ DXFs on the tech support queue), and arguably, a 3rd party program would not be necessary since Carbide Create supports the sort of work you describe:

1 Like

I am so excited to get rolling on this, especially because this is like the best forum I have ever seen!!! I feel like I’m on the team already :grin:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.