Dust boot? Anyone got a setup to share?

Dust boot? Anyone got a setup to share?

1 Like

Winston shared some potential setup on this thread Dust collection for Nomad3?

1 Like

That design was expanded on and published at:

I’m currently looking into having one 3D printed in transparent plastic — alternately, considering a design which could be milled on the machine, but I like the idea of just starting my use of the machine w/ dust collection a solved problem.

The bottom portion can definitely be re-designed in a way that’s more machining-friendly. But, you could even just try to machine this as-is, and just leave areas with undercuts untouched.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I don’t have a block of transparent plastic that size, and suspect it would be a budget buster — I do have a sheet of plastic (I’m hoping it’s cast acrylic) which I fished out of a dumpster from my previous job (waste not, want not, yes I’m cheap) which I believe could be made to serve — we’ll see which wins out, making something, or sending out for the 3D print. It’s all in abeyance until my Nomad 3 is scheduled for shipment.

You know… now that you mention plastic sheeting I wonder if it might be possible to print a negative mold or something and then vacuum form plastic… :thinking: Definitely wouldn’t work for the tight tolerance stuff like the magnet pockets though.

1 Like

Actually, w/ a pair of molds I think it would work:

• top attaches to the machine, has circular ridges for magnets to be placed at the bottom
  • bottom is the dust shoe and has similar ridges

just glue the magnets in place, or use the ones with hole and install in one part w/ suitable hardware, then similarly install a washer (so polarity won’t interfere) on the other.

Tricky part would be balancing the height of the attachment point for the vacuum hose.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.