Dust boot? Anyone got a setup to share?

Dust boot? Anyone got a setup to share?

1 Like

Winston shared some potential setup on this thread Dust collection for Nomad3?

1 Like

That design was expanded on and published at:

I’m currently looking into having one 3D printed in transparent plastic — alternately, considering a design which could be milled on the machine, but I like the idea of just starting my use of the machine w/ dust collection a solved problem.

The bottom portion can definitely be re-designed in a way that’s more machining-friendly. But, you could even just try to machine this as-is, and just leave areas with undercuts untouched.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I don’t have a block of transparent plastic that size, and suspect it would be a budget buster — I do have a sheet of plastic (I’m hoping it’s cast acrylic) which I fished out of a dumpster from my previous job (waste not, want not, yes I’m cheap) which I believe could be made to serve — we’ll see which wins out, making something, or sending out for the 3D print. It’s all in abeyance until my Nomad 3 is scheduled for shipment.

You know… now that you mention plastic sheeting I wonder if it might be possible to print a negative mold or something and then vacuum form plastic… :thinking: Definitely wouldn’t work for the tight tolerance stuff like the magnet pockets though.

1 Like

Actually, w/ a pair of molds I think it would work:

• top attaches to the machine, has circular ridges for magnets to be placed at the bottom
  • bottom is the dust shoe and has similar ridges

just glue the magnets in place, or use the ones with hole and install in one part w/ suitable hardware, then similarly install a washer (so polarity won’t interfere) on the other.

Tricky part would be balancing the height of the attachment point for the vacuum hose.