Dust Boot for the HDZ 4.0

Like many of you with the HDZ I searched the community and market place for an HDZ compatible dust-boot that was independent of the Z axis (aka the dust boot is stationary as the spindle moves Z- or Z+).

If you’ve gone down this hole you have probably learned there is no real good option as many of the solutions (like Ears) decrease your X travel because how they choose suspend the dust boot. That’s when I stumbled across @Julien 's original thread where he iterated quite a bit to solve the restricted X travel problem while making a Z independent boot. [WIP] Frame around HDZ & Spindle

So I contact Julien to see if he was interested in iterating yet again. This is what we came up with. And by we I really mean that if Julien was the Steve Woz of the group then I was one of Bill Gate’s hookers, but none the less, I wanted the boot to swivel.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4349w17haou1kgi/IMG_3293.MOV?dl=0

The Final Result:

In action:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8tcldra4jivvojo/IMG_3674.MOV?dl=0

8 Likes

Fantastic work, @Julien and @MarkDGaal !

What material did you print it out of? Any plans to share this iteration? Julien was kind enough to share his previous version, but I haven’t made time to play with it; I have to adapt it to my SO3 XL with @DanStory ’s rail conversion adapter plate.

Just PLA (but my all time favorite: Galaxy Black Prusament)

Sure, here’s the link to the Fusion360 file

(provided as is, the timeline is messy from the many iterations/last minute adjustments, and it’s missing a couple of McMasterCarr references here and there)

5 Likes

Oh interesting… I’ve only printed with PLA so far.

Once I get caught up with some non-SO3 projects, I’m going to fiddle around with getting a dust boot fabricated.

Thanks, again!

1 Like

Pretty design!

I am unable to see any videos there. Is it just me?

It’s a Chrome+Dropbox embedding issue with iPhones exporting things as .mov now (As I understand it).

Download in the lower right corner, view on iPhone, or use a different browser (safari works).

Oddly, the videos work from my iPhone 8 but doesn’t show when viewing from my PC (Firefox browser).

Yep, open the link in Edge or Chrome and it works (then you get to delete all the cookies)

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.