Dust Extractor, Dust Collector, Cyclone Kits - Confused for a Solution

I have spent hours reading about Fesstool dust extractors, Onedia’s Dust Deputy and Dust Collectors.

To say I am overwhelmed and confused at this point is an understatement.

I am looking for the best solution for my Shapeoko Pro XXL. I currently own a rigid shop vac which is way too loud. I need something relatively quiet that can run for hours and captures large and fine particles as I have asthma so I do not need to aggravate it.

I have read the fesstool has a HEPA filter but that it only filters to 1 micron? My understanding is there can be many particles finer than this that will pass right through that filter and blow out into the surrounding area. Not sure if that is correct ?

If so would a fesstool hooked to an Oneida Dust Deputy do the trick or would I need to get a dust collector + the Fesstool (still not sure what model to get if I go this route) or Fesstool + Dust Deputy would do the job ?

I am also trying not to break the bank, I know this sounds counterintuitive which mentioning fesstool, I am also open to other options. I just want something that is quiet and works best for my Shapeoko since it will be being run in my basement.

Again I am completely confused it almost seems like you need fesstool + dusty deputy + dust collector…

Any help would be appreciated this is all new to me.

My $.02, I put my Rigid shop vac in a box on the opposite side of my garage 3 years ago. Dust Deputy sits on top for easy access.

Decibels at my Shapeoko with only the shop vac running are 63. I can’t hear it at all when cutting.

I have a Festool CT Midi. Frankly, the hose diameter is too small to accommodate the chip output of the Shapeoko. It is a great unit for finish sanding, not CNC dust collection.

As for dust collection efficiency, I’ll leave that to others more informed then myself.

2 Likes

If you want quiet, you need to go for a dust collector and not a shop vac. Combine most 1-2 HP dust collectors with a cyclone dust separator like the Dust Deputy and it will work well for a Shapeoko. It isn’t super quite but much better than a shop vac in my experience. As for dealing with fine dust particles, you get what you pay for here. To really manage fine dust you will have to spend quite a bit. If you need better filtration than what you get with a decent quality dust collector, I would suggest wearing a good mask/respirator instead. Much cheaper and easier.

if you built an enclosure for your machine, there’s something else thats pretty reasonably priced that’s worth considering.

I got a https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JB292JC/ (there’s many like it at different price/noise points), some basic hoses and a box into which I added MERV13 filters across a set of holes in the box.

Basically it pulls the air out of my enclosure and exhausts it through some merv13 cloth (you could also use furnace filters). So that any particles that escape my dust collection, get sucked into that hopefully and filtered.

2 Likes

In my setup I have a rigid shop vac for my dust collection for the cnc. I too am concerned with what ends up in the air in the shop, I use a second hose to blow the output of the shop vac outside

2 Likes

I have a Festool CT Midi and Oneida Ultimate Dust Deputy which I bought in a noise-induced migraine-fueled rage — not cheap, but it works well:

While it worked well w/ the original tapering 35mm hose and a Sweepy v1, getting the v2 and switching to a 2.5" hose:

Fulton Dual Anti Static Dual Dissipative Semi-Clear PVC Hose

sourced a 2.5" elbow and some hose clamps and it all fit together quite nicely.

Also hacked up a dust wand:

2 Likes

@Griff Thats good to know the fess tool cannot pickup the chips from the Shapeoko as I had seen many people talking about it as the must have tool like it could do that. Glad I found this out now before I dropped the money on one to end up being majorly disappointed

My Rigid vac is one of the big wet dry vacuums its like 86db, I tried an old porter cable vacuum that was also loud at 86db and I guess is only for drywall sanding. It was my fathers.

@nwallace I will have to look at the noise level of those. Do they pick up chips or just fine dust ?

@fenrus
The enclosure is a work in progress. I had to get a Dowling jig that just arrived yesterday. So tomorrow I am starting on building the enclosure. This is a good idea. I will have to look more into this as I can see this creating maybe a reverse pressure in the box so the dust doesn’t escape.

yup underpressure was part of my goal.

fwiw no dust collection I have seen can deal with the larger chips so I got https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B013BTVMIA and folded it into a “U” shape to put around the work and it stops the big chips

To clarify, for light cuts/small chips the Festool with standard hose will work ok. Its noisier then my vac in the box though, 76dB.
I do a lot of work in oak and other hardwoods with 3/8" and 1/2" single flute end mills. Up to 3/4" DOC, .375 WOC–big big chips. Even clog my 3" hose on occasion.

I have been using a cheap harbor freight 1.5HP dust collector and it does fine for chips and most dust. I would guess that it gets about 80-90% of chips and better than 90% of dust. However, I know that the bag does not do a very good job of filtering the dust and there is a decent amount that gets through. I just don’t cut enough wood to make it worth an upgrade. I only spent about $250 on it. No dust collection is perfect but I would probably look at something better than what you can get at harbor freight if you are concerned about fine dust particles.

Isn’t replacing the bag/filter a common upgrade for those units?

Not sure where the Festool 1 micron filtration number

came from? Everything I have read say .3 micron with the Festool Hepa filters…

I have the CT-36 and have been very happy with it. Pricey… Yes. But it’s been worth it…

Only caution……
The “Green Festool” slope is a slippery one…. :money_mouth_face:.
Proceed with caution…… after the first purchase… each additional purchase gets just a little bit easier….:wink:

3 Likes

When I arrived at my choice, I considered a few things:

Do you have a need for a small-tools dust collector in your shop, other than for the CNC?
How often do you want to be changing the bags / filters?
How long are your long-running jobs?

Most motors found in shop vacs are not really geared towards long-running jobs. They are much better at stop and start applications. The Oneida dust collectors are motored for long runs and actually wear less when left running than when started and stopped all the time.

If you have the need for a small-tools (small diameter, under 4") dust collector - other than the CNC, you might consider the expense of an Oneida Gorilla or Cobra (the one I chose) and justify it as being spent not only on the CNC, but on your shop. I ended up buying a home depot 30’ 2.5" extra hose which I use when I want to use the collector with other tools in my shop. A smaller 2.5" hose is connected to the CNC.

• Gary
2 Likes

On the Stumpy Nubs youtube channel he has a video about upgrading existing dust collection systems for more filtering.

I have a traditional dust collector, Jet DC1100, that works well. I added a 5" Onieda Super Dust Deputy with a 15 gallon dust collection bucket. This system is very noisy but it really pulls the cfm and filters the dust. I also have a Jet Air Cleaner mounted on t he ceiling of my shop. I dont always use the air filter but if sanding I almost always turn it on.

The truth is to get really good dust extraction you have to make some noise. The quiet systems like Festool do not have the suction required for a large dust producing tool like our cnc’s. The Festool, Fein, Makita and other small units are great for single hand held tools but not as great for large fixed tools like table saws and bandsaws. So you have to define your requirement for the dust collector and then decide what to buy.

My shop requires the larger dust collector because I have large equipment that makes a lot of dust. What do you have/need?

Probably. I just haven’t looked into it because it doesn’t bother me enough and I don’t want to sacrifice any flow for better filtration.

Many seem to get a Wynn canister; however, a cheaper option are Donaldson cannisters. The 181016 seems to be a common choice. The Donaldsons are attached to dust collectors like the Wynns, make “donut” of ply or mdf to fit the cannister to the collector. Look at the Wynn website, I believe it provides instructions. If not, search the net for woodshop cannister dust collection or similar terms. You should find lots of info.

1 Like

@WillAdams

I have a Festool CT Midi and Oneida Ultimate Dust Deputy which I bought in a noise-induced migraine-fueled rage — not cheap, but it works well:

The fesstool CT Midi and the dust deputy work well with the Shapeoko ?

@GJM

Do you have a need for a small-tools dust collector in your shop, other than for the CNC?

I have only the Shapeoko for the most part that I plan on using immediately. I also have a table saw, a dual sliding compound miter saw (small), a table jig saw, rotozip, and some handheld sanders. The majority of my work will be on the Shapeoko unless some other need comes up in the future.

How often do you want to be changing the bags / filters?

Not Often

How long are your long-running jobs?

unknown at this time

@gdon_2003

The Festool, Fein, Makita and other small units are great for single hand held tools but not as great for large fixed tools like table saws and bandsaws. So you have to define your requirement for the dust collector and then decide what to buy.

The equipment I listed is what I have but the only thing I plan on using on a regular basis is the Shapeoko.

I did come across some discussions on a woodworking forum and they are saying that a Bill Pentz design is superior to Oneida and also are saying you need a Duct Collection System and something like the JET 1000B

I’m still not clear on whether to get a dust extractor or dust collector.

Since you answered “NO” to my questions, I’d say a shopvac equivalent will work for you. You don’t need long run times and you don’t need to use it elsewhere. If it’s dedicated to the CNC, you have no real reason to invest in a lot of the features of the more expensive units.

Yes, I’ve found that the combination works well for my needs, esp. since upgrading to the 2.5" hose.

1 Like