Dust shoe videos collection

Is an IR camera on the horizon?

3 Likes

Thermal imaging, I did not consider that no, it would be fun to visualize how (and where) the tool warms up. Good point but probably waaaay out of my budget range.

4 Likes

Aaaand I’m gonna have to use that picture again to illustrate my progress:

So, after realizing I could focus the (latest) camera where I want, I proceeded to do the Nth version of the dust shoe :

And this time around I thought, let’s take the time to add a protection window in front of the lens, I searched and stumbled upon those 40mm round screen protector things intended for smart watches:

So I added support for that in the design:

The camera is conveniently not in the way of anything else so there’s that,

And I glued the protection glass in place:

Only to discover after a few seconds of the first test cut…

…that the glass acts like a very, very efficient chip collector:

And back to the drawing board now.

4 Likes

Maybe you need to ground it?

:fire:

5 Likes

Yeah, was thinking of Hal Clement’s story “Dust Rag”.

1 Like

I think it’s my fault for suggesting a screen to stop the lens getting ablated by chips :cry:

Nah it was a good idea and I did not see that pb coming.
What’s really annoying is that the very first cheap USB borescope I tried at the start of this thread was really not far from ideal, just too low res. If I could find a borescope with HD resolution AND no autofocus…maybe that’s the sweet spot.

2 Likes

When reloading ammo, reloaders will dip their plastic powder funnel in soapy dishwater and let it dry to put a film on it to keep static electricity from building up on the funnel. It would be a simple and quick test to see if that works at reducing chip buildup on the lens.

5 Likes

I will try, worth a shot!

1 Like

I used to do that before I got my progressive press, but I have since switched to a metal funnel a decade and a half ago.

2 Likes

I was a couple of months away from buying a Dillon 650, but I bought a Shapeoko 3 instead. Now I CNC and 3D print and CAD design for my “me” time.

I still have my single stage press and supplies, just in case the need to make some ammo arises though.

2 Likes

Until I summon enough motivation to continue fighting the cameras, I reinstalled the original one for “day to day cuts”.

Bamboo, 3flute 6mm square endmill, 20000RPM, 90ipm after helical ramp, 1mm optimal load,

Adaptive, 15mm depth of cut

3 Likes

Also, finishing using a 1/8" endmill with a 1.3" lengh of cut is interesting (=scary)

4 Likes

Julien,

What are you carving, is it an architectural model, art, an abstract, what is it? I saw this on another of your posts and I have been wondering every since.

Add an air nozzle blowing directly at the lens protector. Should blow the chips off fairly well.

Just the 6 pieces of a puzzle cube I have been working on for the community challenge.

It would, and then my dust shoe would really become the most over-engineered ever :slight_smile:
My air compressor (read: airbush compressor) tends to heat-up during long runs, so I would first need to take care of that.
Truth be told I’m slowly coming to the conclusion that I want two setups: a dust shoe with simple hole for a borescope to capture HD at 30fps for day to day use / monitoring my cuts, and another dedicated dust shoe with the 330fps camera that I would use only when I need the extra fps (and that second one could have the air jet and be more awkward to use)

1 Like

I hate those full depth plunge finishing cuts. They seem so sketchy and sound terrible, especially when you come in from a flat to a wall, its like 1% cutter engagement to 100% instantly.

1 Like

Absolutely. My initial plan was to use a ballnose to finish just the rounded parts at mid-height, and then use that long 1/8" endmill to do a contour finishing pass at full depth. The rubbing incident drenched my enthusiasm so I resorted to running a parallel finishing pass to at least get to see how the parts would look (not good), and now I’m back to the drawing board.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.