Dust shoe videos collection

The first rule of dust shoe club is “the best dust shoe is the next one” :slight_smile:

What I already regret doing is placing the camera right above the suction hole, which means I’ll have a chip storm in front of the camera during all shots. I knew this would happen, but I could not find any other position (the back of the shoe would have been ideal, but not enough Z clearance there, and the sides are a no-no because I don’t want to impact Z travel)

I’m tempted to do yet another iteration, with suction intakes in the back (opposite of the camera) and finding they way inside the shoe walls, to the hose in front. Oh my this would look even weirder.

Where I’m sold for good is the “cylinder around the spindle” approach (and Z-independence, obviously), in terms of efficiency it has worked perfectly for me.

6 Likes

What do you mean by “z-independent”? You mean the dust boot is around the spindle and moving up & down with the Z movement?

Z-independent would be detached from the spindle and moving Z-carriage, so the height of the dust boot would remain constant until adjusted.

3 Likes

I may have missed it, but have you looked into borescopes? They have some pretty small diameter heads with lights - something like 5mm isn’t uncommon. The smaller you go the more expensive they get.

1 Like

I finally liked this camera. It gives me 1920x1080@60fps, 640x480@120fps. It’s much smaller than your camera, and requires smaller space to be mounted,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DWXRKNL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3 Likes

Yep this is actually where I started (not sure it qualifies as a “borescope” but what I initially put in the dust shoe was such a very small camera), but then I looked for a model that would be higher resolution AND be able to support higher framerates AND would not require some silly custom Android app over wifi, and could not find a satisfactory model (but they probably exist!)

I do miss that very small form factor that was perfect for dust shoe integration.

2 Likes

Is it really ? (smaller). Besides the casing, it seemed to be that pretty much all those ELP modules were the size width/height (size of the rectangular PCB). The lens does look smaller though. I’m looking forward to seeing how you integrated it, I could use some inspiration for the next dust shoe prototype!

2 Likes

I just noticed yours does 640X360MJPEG @260fps

Interesting !

3 Likes

Inside? Like in tunnel? That seems to be a recipe for many clogs of chips. :smiley:

3 Likes

Mr. Celebrity needs some inspiration!!! I, and I’m sure a few more members, always waiting for your awesome designs.

2 Likes

Not if it’s a large enough tunnel, which is why the dust shoe may end up looking like an elephant foot with very, very thick walls :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Have you thought about a mirror and reversing the video?

No, but that wouldn’t solve my camera position issue? (the chips would still fly by in front of the lens)

2 Likes

First try at capturing a 1920x1080x30fps sequence. Meh…I’ll have to go back and adjust focus, and that piece of scrap plastic to protect the lens is not doing any good.

4 Likes

It looks like the camera is out of focus. Look at the bit, it’s for sure out of focus. Wait for my discharge from the hospital, I will post a test video from the last 8mp camera I got.
ps I’m in the hospital for a cardiac issue not COVID-19 :).

Yeah I went for focusing about 10mm below stock surface, for those deeper future deeper cuts, but at this close range the focus depth is quite limited.

2 Likes

Well at least it’s not auto focus, that would work really well through the hail of chips…

2 Likes

Mr. Julien, I’d like you to return your camera and get THIS ONE and thank me after you get it. When you get this camera, you will never look back, and that’s an honest word.
ps It comes with a lovely bag. Also, for video capture, use Debut Video Capture by NCH.

2 Likes

Being very bored at the hospital, I got this camera shipped to my hospital room. The attached video was recorded pointing the camera at my notebook screen. It’s 1920x1080 @30fps. I did not turn on the LED’s as it would of got reflected from the screen.

New Camera Test

4 Likes

I think you are quite lucky the nurses at the hospital didn’t show you how they use endoscope cameras… :grimacing:

3 Likes