Dust shoe videos collection

The default RPM that is included in the Amana tool database for Fusion360 has 18.000RPM like the Vectric one:

In other news, I tested 200ipm and it works perfectly, nice sweet cutting sound and decent finish.
Still 18k RPM with that #51404, 1mm DOC.

2 Likes

@Julien In my recent tests with acrylic, I basically found I could go as fast as I could. I was also able to take a higher DOC, but it always helped to have the first cut 1mm or less. I cut 3mm in one pass, but I had some chipping.

4 Likes

Amana’s speeds and feeds for (at least) this series of endmills seem to have numerous inconsistencies as shown below.

One thing that seems common with virtually all manufacturers’ speeds and feeds recommendations is to use a depth of cut equal to endmill diameters for slotting/cutting. Wouldn’t using 1/4" DOC with maximum cutting/spindle speed with the (good old/reliable?) 0.001" IPT (and chip thickness) work well in this case with these “razor sharp” endmills? (That’s 1/11th @Julien’s chipload and more than 1 lbf less cutting force.)

2 Likes

I cut some acrylic for the first time this weekend to make a fishing pole rack. I don’t have an O’flute, so I loaded up a 2 flute aluminum cutter. This was out of some unknown acrylic given to me at work. I went 120IPM, full DOC at the #2 setting on the Carbide router. I really had no idea if it was going to work that well, I was completely shooting from the hip.
It came out pretty perfect. :grin: but man do I have rice everywhere now. :rofl:

9 Likes

Nice! Your chipload was 120 IPM / 16600 RPM / 2 Teeth = 0.0036 IPT. What endmill diameter?

2 Likes

1/4" SpeTool

Sorry - how thick was the acrylic?

3mm.
I forgot that bit of information.

So I plugged the new camera (ELP-USBFHD01M-BFV) and it seems like third time’s the charm !

It’s not quite as bulky as I pictured, it feels solid, and it comes with 9.5feet of USB cable, which is just perfect to route the cable from my laptop to the dust shoe, via the dust collection hose:

I was still slightly worried about minimal focusing distance, but it turns out it’s crazy low with those optics, so much so that I can actually focus on the scratches on the plastic cap that was protecting the lens, a few mm away:

And it operates
exactly at the resolution/frame rates described (which is not always a given!).

Here’s a sample 640x480x120fps recording,

And the same recording played back at 30fps

It’s a poor example, I can’t wait to capture some chip action. But now
I have to redesign the lower part of my dust shoe to accomodate this thing. Exciting !

12 Likes

One of the commenters on Amazon noted something that might be pertinent to mounting this camera on a moving/vibrating router:

Reviewed in the United States on September 12, 2017
Size: 2.8-12mm Varifocal Lens Verified Purchase
Could have been a great camera if the mechanical bonding between the sensor and the lens was strong enough.
The image quality is clear and I like the variable focal length. However, the connection between the lens sensor and the varifocal part quite easily and I can’t repair it. It’s quite sad to see the could-have-been great camera is designed that way.

And, I did see several comments about it needing “Hollywood lighting” to function, but we know @Julien does have that kind of lighting because he’s a STAR! :smiley:

4 Likes

:rofl:
All the credit for getting massive amounts of light into the camera goes to @LiamN from whom I stole the idea of the spindle ring light, it has done an excellent job flooding the inside of the dust shoe with bright light. The one pitfall I found is that the humongous ER20 collet nut casts a shadow.

Thanks for bringing that comment to my attention, it aligns quite well with my intent to design a 3d printed “skeleton” around the camera to attach it to the dust shoe. Attaching it “by the lens only” seemed like a horrible thing to do anyway, and would not even have been convenient because I need to be able to rotate the two parts of the lens to adjust focal distance and focus.

I made almost no progress last night, I spent a long time in front of the machine trying to figure out the ideal orientation of the camera that would ALSO not reduce the X travel, and not collide with the dust hose. I considered attaching it to the back side of the dust shoe (kind of like the PwnCNC dust shoe has the hose in the back), but then I have a height issue that makes the viewing angle really not good. So in any, I already know that the final design will look weird :slight_smile:

3 Likes

14h of print from now I will test this montrosity with the new camera:

It was quite an interesting exercize to modify the dust shoe design to accomodate the bulky camera, with the right viewing angle, and while not impacting the X travel of the machine.

Anyway, in the meantime here’s a (boring) shot with the old camera of surfacing beech with a 1/4" endmill, 20kRPM, 100ipm, 0.75mmDOC

5 Likes

I’ve noticed after many hours of using the Sweepy that it’s not really clear plastic any longer. There are no real scratches, but the inside is definitely getting blasted from the chips. Is this an issue with camera lenses or do you have a sacrificial cover?

5 Likes

Looks like you’ll be printing a few supports too

yep I definitely have a sacrificial cover in front of the lens

1 Like

tell me about it
 half of the print is supports

1 Like

does the new camera record audio as well?

We should work together on designing the plate for the Holywood Julien Walk of Fame.

8 Likes

Nope, no sound on this model. But I guess capturing sound so close to the cutter (mine is 2" away) would make for very annoying videos anyway :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There is a lot of free music that make videos more exciting. The whine of a router is not very exciting. If I want to hear the whining I can just listen to my own router.