Finger / dovetail joints

I have a Shapeoko Pro XXL. I want to make some larger boxes with either finger or dovetail joints. I do have dovetail cutters I’ve used minimally. What I’m wondering is if I wanted to do this often what are the best approaches? Cut at the front of the machine? Or remove a hybrid aluminum slat and mount vertically along X?

Here is something I saw, put it aside for future plans. See if this works for you.

2 Likes

I have a Shapeoko 3 and you get quite a bit of front machining room. So how far off the front of the newer machines can the router go for Shapeoko 4, Pro and HDM?

1 Like

Yes, it can be done.

Dovetails have the problem of Carbide Create not being able to model this tool geometry in 3D:

Yes, it requires some sort of vertical fixture:

But the problem is, it make projects more complex — each box becomes at a minimum 3 setups:

• mount parts flat on the machine and cut parts to length/width
  • mount 4 boards in fixture and cut joinery in two corners
  • rotate 4 boards and remount in fixture and cut joinery in two opposing corners

I find it far more workable to just cut the parts and the joinery in one operation:

1 Like

For the HDM it’s zero.

I’ve found the easiest way to do dovetails is with the Vectric VCarve Pro dovetail gadget. There’s a bit of a learning curve to using it which requires trying it out on some test pieces, but the end result is it forms perfectly fitting dovetails with just a 1/8" endmill and no vertical mounting is required. The downside is due to the nature of round endmills, you either have to use fillets on the tails, or hand finish the corners with a saw or chisel. There’s also a small fillet on the vertical corners of the pins. There’s also a box gadget that will make all 4 sides of a drawer with dovetails to your specifications and it’s ideal for this application as the pins will be hidden anyway and the tails can be easily hand finished to avoid using fillets.

3 Likes

Thanks for the responses! I think I’ll give @WillAdams approach a shot as it seems like probably the least effort for me. Going to model it up in fusion though as that’s my program of choice

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.