First project gone wrong

Hello, I was hoping someone can take a few minutes to help me out. I was following Kevin Barnett along with “Getting started with Shapeoko - Hello Contour” and in making my first cut my end mill went straight down through my stock and plunged right into my aluminum base. I can’t seem to figure out what went wrong. I have the thickness of my stock set to 0.688 as I’m using 3/4 plywood. Also, my first toolpath is set to start at 0 with a max of 0.125. Please help.

Not sure if I’m doing this right but below I attempted to upload my file.

Practice Coaster 3:4 Ply.c2d (68 KB)

You’re trying to cut 3/4" deep

using a tool #111:

which only has a flute length of:

Cutting Length 0.25 in

and then you are trying to cut all the way through as a slot:

Where possible avoid slotting and add geometry and cut as a pocket

and/or

and consider leaving a roughing clearance and taking a finishing pass.

1 Like

I think that must have been the problem. I used the BitSetter and think got confused thinking that set my z axis. Gonna give another go here in a bit. thanks!

Thanks for the feedback! I’ll have to look into a lot of this when I get better because I honestly didn’t understand the majority of it haha. But the beginning actually raised another question for me you may be able to help me with? I selected that ball end mill because the library didn’t have the one i was using and I thought it may be similar enough to the one i had. I was using the Amana Tool - 46282-K. Is there a way to add Amana tools to the library or do I need to look up the parameters for each one and add them in individually? - Which seems like it would take forever! lol

You will need to manually add any tooling which is not sold by Carbide 3D.

See:

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.