Foolproof belt tensioners needed

1 ton might be a tad too much though :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

The only way to be sure something is done is to overdo it … I’m sure I read that somewhere :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The logistics would probably outweigh the benefits, but it might be worth looking into providing an exchange programme, slotted for unslotted end plates, if these can be obtained separately?

Over-engineering is the death of the first iteration. Always. :smiley:

1 Like

Is there also a mechanical measuring tool that would enable a user to set the exact amount of belt tension.

This would minimise the variability that exists between builds. which is the other issue that I see with belt installation and maintenance.

There are belt tension meters, but the price is hard to justify for a single machine.

My solution was to use a spring-loaded luggage scale and the weight of the machine, but that was better suited to the old sliding motor mounts.

There’s a good post here which notes using pencils to lift up the belts, then checking them using a phone app, this one I think:

3 Likes

You could use an inch lb. torque wrench with the idea I posted.

2 Likes

Neil, your latest iteration is looking really good. Your previous version is working well on my machine, thank you. And, as TX_diy noted, a slot mortiser would be useful.

2 Likes

Overkill is underrated!

3 Likes

Anybody want to machine and test my idea? Or do FEA on it.

If I may

Maxim 37: There is no “overkill.” There is only “open fire” and “reload.”

Also applicable to some denizens of this forum

Maxim 25: If the damage you do is covered by a manufacturers warranty, you didn’t do enough damage.

3 Likes

@neilferreri Your design looks great. Would you be open to sharing?

1 Like

I’m all for sharing. Let me test the current version and then I’ll post the files.
I had to make some spacers on the prototype, so I extended it some and added that goofy reinforcement rib.

3 Likes

Thank you! In the meantime, I need to cut the slots for the belts.

1 Like

@opticrest I just threw these up on Thingiverse. I had to make a modification for my old school front plate with the dual M3 belt tensioner mounts (if you never had those, you don’t know how good you had it with the M5 version).

5 Likes

Thanks! I will get these queued up on the printer today.

Did you cut the slots yet?
I found it convenient to mark the slot locations by mounting the tensioner Base. You could print the first 2-3mm to use as a template.

1 Like

Oh, to be able to own a 3D printer!

I got a little trigger happy yesterday and drilled a hole in one of the base plates. I’m printing out a pair of bases now though, so I’ll be using those as templates for the remaining slots.

1 Like

Let me know how it goes. I still have one slot to make. I might need to pick up some better drill bits… The first one was not fun.

1 Like