Hardcore Aluminum milling on an S3

Your spindle speed is determined by the frequency provided by the VFD (controllable either locally or remotely). The amount of available spindle torque is limited by the voltage provided by the VFD, which is determined by how it’s configured. If the VFD is configured for half the rated spindle voltage, the spindle will be limited to less than half the rated torque, power, and current draw.

Kenneth that is some really good information! I’m definitely going to be messaging you about setting something like that up when its connected to the board. Speed accuracy is pretty important.

I haven’t checked the real rpm vs what the VFD says because its very hard to get a reflective sticker to hold at 60k. Superglue is on the menu today.

Everything is set right for voltage and I was messing with a few last night and hit a 3amp max draw. Better but not 4.5, even with vfd set to output more current than rated. Hz are set correctly in multiple parameters.

Just a suggestion but I think there should be a spindle setup and issues thread. It appears that these spindles and VFD need a lot of configuring to get them working properly. Once the right settings are finally ironed out for the different spindle VFD configuration, maybe some kind of installation/configurqation document could be published.

3 Likes

White out should work. I think.

2 Likes

1st one I saw Thanks! - Gotta like that guy and the way !he thinks! But, HEM + HSM = @Vince.Fab :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The amazing @Julien already did that for his! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yes but it seems like there are more questions popping-up, I see a new thread on the subject almost everyday not to mention thread like this being hijacked. While there may be somethings that still need to be figured out, I’m sure that most questions have already been answered somewhere in this forum. It is the same as EMI/disconnect issues that people are encountering.

Maybe @julien will have to write the VFD & Spindle e-book for CNC. Unfortunately, it will not force the new owner from reading the book.

1 Like

Sometimes I wonder if it would make sense to make of a few “sticky” threads on the forum front page, for these common/popular topics.

7 Likes

Makes sense to me, maybe even some sort of index to help people find them!

“Those who live in glass houses shouldn’t …… …….”

I had originally wanted to post in @3DGG BEST vfd settings thread but it was locked. Maybe @WillAdams can help clean up this thread a bit?

Back to billet!

Top is my designed velocity stack inlet, bottom is Jenvey Dynamics. We are both using the same inlet radius but mine should outperform them in an enclosed plenum.

So many aftermarket manufacturers get this math wrong. Bigger is not better, power is a tango between pressure/velocity and how you allow the engine to breathe. There is always give and take…but too many leave efficiency on the table. Just like a benchtop cnc, balance is the holy grail.

Some people mask issues by turning the boost up. My reason for living is to extract as much potential from things as possible. If you want to be among the best you need to think in thousandths, in the last few percents of a percent.

Jenvey also wasted flow potential on the cast flange/runners. My customer paid thousands for that assembly. It going to hurt me to tell him its not perfect.

What an amazing world we live in to be able to compete with these machines. Technology is the great equalizer and anything is possible…I just need more amps!

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m not throwing stones and I may have contributed here but it has moved far from a project gallery thread, but I’m suggesting something to address the issue instead of continuing in this direction so @Vince.Fab can continue showing his marvelous workpieces.

1 Like

I appreciate every response and I’m just as guilty of derailing the gallery train lol. There are no hard feelings here

Just realized I never showed that latest 3d transition welded and installed. These details make the build…it has to have at least 40 one off machined pieces

11 Likes

Drag CRX finally running. The cam sensor bracket is working great!

5 Likes

Oh man, I love that sound!

Any chance we can hear it in full song?

Oh yeah, glad the sensor bracket worked out well!

1 Like

That looks and sounds great. Very impressive.

1 Like

I’ll post up when I can, trust.

Until then, embrace the chaos
Be the Hydra

1 Like

One of few remaining Austin projects before packing up and heading to Houston

7 Likes

Beautiful work, as always.

Hope the new shop is air conditioned and has a dehumidifier too! Houston summers can be…tough.

3 Likes

Maybe we should start a thread about the mistakes.
“The Scrap Bin”

What I didn’t show was the other piece that didn’t pass go and collect $200. Usually I’ll make at least double because there is always something new to learn and these machines have such a small range of forgiveness. This time a different geometry flute didn’t cut as efficient and I should have minimized the ramp diameter. The m6x1 hole became too oversized to threadmill and produce a quality thread.

Imo I scored 50% on this test but with one good part im still on the right path. Being able to weld the bad hole and rerun the part is good experience in part setup and soft cutting.

It’s ok to fail, in fact I reccomend it. But make sure to set yourself up for success no matter what. Next time you’ll do better.

Also I lived in Puerto Rico and fabricated in an open air shop. Before that in Phoenix in an open air shop. Heat and humidity doesn’t bother me, tough environments fuel the fire. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes