Hardcore Aluminum milling on an S3

Where is the best place to order these linear rails? I am looking to do something similar with a machine I have.

NASA has identified a 2nd black hole. Located near Vince, it appears to be sucking-up all the aluminum in the galaxy.

7 Likes

We’ll need @RichCournoyer to confirm this sighting!

3 Likes

Nice work. I’ve been reading up on chip thinning and trying to wrap my head around 360 again.
Next I guess I have to invest in some cutters to spin some aluminum.
I have spoken to Craig at Datron I couple times over the last year just been to busy to get back to the shapeoko.
So Datron single flute……. you like ??? Again great work on the milling.

1 Like

Are you in the 4digit club
1000ipm

3 Likes

Nothing to it when you work in metric. :wink:

5 Likes

Ok the 1000/25,000 club lol

A smart man would probably learn metric. Means ide have to switch out imperial tape measures :thinking:

2 Likes

1000x25.4, when 100ths of a second count :wink:

Dan

2 Likes

I think the Shapeoko 25,000 club has a certain ring to it! Our founding member and so far only member: Vince. Who will be next, Mr Beaver?

1 Like

That’s what I call a win

3 Likes

3d certified grade A

7 Likes

Cool, a muffin pan! :wink:

2 Likes

OrangeA Linear Rail 15-1500mm 2xLinear Guideway Rail 4x Square Type Carriage Bearing Block Linear Rail Support for 15mm Slotted Bearings https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072FRPGKP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_UmXXCbRKMAZA5

:thinking:

Just did a quick look at AliExpress, no bargains there when shipping is factored in. FYI

Hopefully the bolt pattern is pretty standard on these hgh15s. Making a couple small changes then running the first batch of production plates.

2 Likes

I imagine you could negotiate a quantity deal with one of the Chinese suppliers. Probably what Luke did.

The last thing I want to do I source rails for people, machining three Linear X Plates today though.

Prepped stock with the s3, crazy beautiful cuts

I was about to ask what rails you used… any tips on mounting them?

Hgh15s, the normal size s3 uses 600mm lengths. It’s pretty simple to install them. Square the rail with the extrusion, drill/tap one side. Bolt down one side then resquare rail to extrusion, mark hole on opposite side, drill and tap. Bolt upper rail on extrusion, install X plate and bolt all blocks on plate. Slide plate to far side, mark and drill/tap, repeat for other side.

Mark and drill/tap all upper rail holes. Use the X plate to self align the bottom. I think misalignment tolerance is 0.003ish. You can indicate or just feel the rail tension for proper alignment.

2 Likes

Wasn’t suggesting that. Thought you might be thinking about selling the kit yourself.