HDM vs Pro XXL ALUMINUM

In 3 weeks or so my enclosure should be finished and ill be running feeds and speed testing with 3 flute dlc coated 6 and 10mms endmills. Will post my results when i do it.

mind sharing a link to the touch probe?

I have had great success using this one. So easy to get dead on https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001C7NNNG/

I use the same one as @Brasch and I have also been getting great results

bummer, its only a 1/2" shank. no go on my nomad.

1 Like

So many great parts coming off the HDM this past month

10 Likes

Millalyzer estimates less than 600 Watts for that.

5 Likes

Nice strut tower brace / shock reservoir tank holder. I bet on a black car a carbon fiber cross bar would be sexy as well.

+Good to know that the 3f isn’t pulling a ton of power and heat management is the limiting factor. Perhaps I should increase the stepover and try to make larger chips that can take away the heat better vs stepping up the rpm and feed.

Looking through the thread, and lots of impressive work.
Are these parts powder coated or anodized?

We do powder coat mostly in house, I do send some out to anodize, but not much

Or double your MRR as shown in the attachment?
6061 With HDM.pdf (412.8 KB)

1 Like

From large to small parts, the HDM keeps us loving the east ability to make custom parts, from idea to design in Fusion 360 to parts in hours not days or weeks.

9 Likes

So much stuff going on lately it’s hard to post content. Here a fun one that used the CNC to make press molds for raised grill mesh. 15 mins of MDF and some brass screen and a press and we have beautiful raised grille mesh

11 Likes

Picked up a Stupid Simple Tools fog buster last week for $169 with everything you need to setup, way better than the cost of the original and the build quality is amazing. Loving it already

9 Likes

This just made my day. I was just about to order an original fogbuster because I didn’t want anything to do with the amazon special options. $190 after shipping and tax vs over $400 for the same size has made this upgrade much less painful. Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

So glad to help, I have been cutting so much aluminum with a mister and wanted a FogBuster for a while, but the cost was too high IMHO… But this is right there!

1 Like

I was finally able to get around to cutting something. Made a sim racing hydro brake mount.

First time using anything larger then a 1/8th inch endmill in 6061, 3fl dlc coated Dreanique 6mm. Made and oops and programmed for a 2fl for my chamfer when its a 3fl but im happy with how it came out as a test peice for my machine.

10 Likes

I love the flow control wheel and if I didn’t already have my Cool Mist jr MQL that was like $750.00 I would go this route.

Part of me still wants to make an Arduino controlled syringe system that would work like the pain pumps in hospitals allowing me to have a stepper driven mini linear slider apply precise amounts of cutting fluid to my old hydroponics air blast system with a large syringe and IV tubing. A simple potentiometer stepper speed control code is probably easy to come by.

Are you still using iso-water mix as lubricant? I find that the cool lube 2210al will turn to smoke if I push the feeds above 170 ipm range the machine and tooling can handle it but the heat generated is too much for the fluid to remain stable.

Im also working on a wd40 drip system using a peristaltic pump. Hoping to have it up and done done soon.

3 Likes

I still use KoolMist + Water + Iso = But for me the best combination of speed and surface finish is about 100ipm. For heavy cuts I also add more mist so its more lubricated, there is a small amount of mist/smoke I assumed it was the iso vapor with water?

1 Like