How do I replicate Victorian house details?

I am restoring a Queen Anne Victorian house and there are a number of “cookie cutter” wooden elements I need to replicate to replace rotten/damaged/lost ones. I am pretty familiar with graphic design but I am a total newbie when it comes to CNC software. What do you think is the best way to replicate these elements so I can cut replacements? They could be traced on paper easily enough but getting a clean file is something I really need help with. I can share pictures if needed. Thanks all!

Trace and re-draw.

See:

for the technical aspects.

For node editing, there was some discussion in two recent threads:

and

If you’ll post a photo and a traced image and the beginnings of a .c2d file we’ll gladly walk through this with you.

1 Like

Awesome; thanks! I’m going to read these discussions and try to get started.

Unless the objects are 3d it is relatively easy to make. If you mean like ginger bread you can draw up the outline and add any stripes (pockets) or dimples (holes) you need and it will just cut fine as a 2d object. If the objects are 3 dimensional then you can model it in the Pro version and cut them out.

If you mean like this brick brack at the gable ends that is just a 2d file no matter how thick it is.

Things like dental modeling may be easier to just cut out on a table saw and then chip up into the individual lengths. The Shapeoko/CNC machine is a great tool but it is not your only tool.

Again this trim is just 2d and is easily cut out on a CNC.

Here is a cornucopia of Victorian trim that can mostly all be cut out by a Shapeoko

0558afc22b223bf548b0652fc94e5379

A few of the above larger pieces would be better cut out on a lathe and then cut in half. Some people will take 2 pieces of boards that equal the total thickness and glue them together with a paper sake in between. Then turn the objects and then they are easy to split apart to replicate the larger objects because no one ever sees the back side of the decoration.

Just remember this trim will likely be viewed from the street so very fine details will be lost. Things around your front door you can add more detail because that will be viewed close up.

3 Likes

Many of the objects on my house will be easy to make because they can be successfully cut with a 2D pattern. I’ll start there. I may graduate to 3D once I master the 2D patterns. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.