How to tile a project?

hello everyone. When i bought The Shapeoko 5 Pro 4x2, one of the features was being able to index a full sheet of plywood through the machine. my understanding of “indexing” was that i could make a large design the size of a standard sheet of plywood or other material that exceeded the working surface of my machine, and run it through as a solid piece instead of physically breaking the material down into individual pieces. for example, say i wanted to carve a design on a wooden door that took up a majority of the surface on the door top to bottom. Is this possible with a setting or feature and if so, how would you go about setting that up so the carve paths connected and were smooth? I don’t know if how I am wording this is making sense or if I need to explain it differently.

The feature is known in CAM tools as “Tiling”

We added it to Carbide Create Pro:

and there’s a video on it:

but it can be done by hand, see:

Thank you for answering my question. I appreciate it!

One of the tricky things when learning a new system is figuring out what terms are used. Index vs Tiling, for example. Cutout vs Contour, etc. It’s not hard but does need to get done.

Excellent point!

@schombe For “Tiling” and more terminology, see:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.